Trusted Contributor
On 10/24/2014 happy housewife said:

I just purchased the Tide pods - only used them once - certainly seems convenient. However, what do you do when you are only doing a small load , that would be too much detergent.

That's why I can't use them anymore. LOVE the convenience of the pods, but I moved into a townhome a year ago that has one of those stackable washer/dryer combos. So the capacity of the washer is small. I tried using the Pods, but had to run the clothes twice through a rinse cycle when they were finished, to get all the soap out. I am so bummed I can't use them anymore. Wish they would make the Pods for stackable units!

Super Contributor

Convenience products like this with excess packaging are just so bad for the planet. Is it that hard to pour a little detergent (I use about 1/4 of what the mfg suggests and my clothing is sparkling clean and has no dirt-attracting soap residue) into the plastic cup???

Respected Contributor

I'd never use those detergent pods because I like to use various load sizes. I can get 4 different wash levels in my washer. The price the OP gave for the pods is very expensive. Each pods costs 22 cents.

I just bought a huge jug of All Clear from Costco for under $12.00 (in their coupon booklet) that the label says does 158 loads. This costs 8 cents per load. Big difference in price and I don't mind pouring the liquid.

Honored Contributor
On 10/24/2014 PinkyPetunia said:

I'd never use those detergent pods because I like to use various load sizes. I can get 4 different wash levels in my washer. The price the OP gave for the pods is very expensive. Each pods costs 22 cents.

I just bought a huge jug of All Clear from Costco for under $12.00 (in their coupon booklet) that the label says does 158 loads. This costs 8 cents per load. Big difference in price and I don't mind pouring the liquid.

I agree, I like to measure out my laundry soap, so I don't get the pod concept at all. I do all sizes of loads in my machine too

One more step to encourage the populace to not think.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
On 10/24/2014 Cinder63 said:

Convenience products like this with excess packaging are just so bad for the planet. Is it that hard to pour a little detergent (I use about 1/4 of what the mfg suggests and my clothing is sparkling clean and has no dirt-attracting soap residue) into the plastic cup???

What are you talking about. The pod completely dissolves in the water. There is nothing to throw away. I sometimes will have one or two things to put on the hand wash cycle in the washer. I will keep a cheap liquid in the cabinet to do those one or two things. Otherwise I have full loads. These are convenient if you have to take your laundry down to a laundry room if you live in an apartment. Plus I dont have to buy a stsn remover or remember to spray something since they have a added stain remover. I found i spent less on soap these. I am handicap and those jugs were always heavy for me and I would make a mess.
Honored Contributor
My mother uses them exclusively. She has trouble lifting the bottles. She gets All pods at BJs. I have a couple bags of pods that I got free with coupons that I've been using and have to say they are great. Price will determine if I buy them again.
Super Contributor
On 10/24/2014 ccassaday said:

What are you talking about. The pod completely dissolves in the water. There is nothing to throw away. I sometimes will have one or two things to put on the hand wash cycle in the washer. I will keep a cheap liquid in the cabinet to do those one or two things. Otherwise I have full loads. These are convenient if you have to take your laundry down to a laundry room if you live in an apartment. Plus I dont have to buy a stsn remover or remember to spray something since they have a added stain remover. I found i spent less on soap these. I am handicap and those jugs were always heavy for me and I would make a mess.

The more complex manufacturing process, the extra chemicals involved, the extra fuel-burning weight in the shipping process compared to concentrate...it all adds up. Are we really so lazy?

Super Contributor
On 10/25/2014 Cinder63 said:
On 10/24/2014 ccassaday said:

The more complex manufacturing process, the extra chemicals involved, the extra fuel-burning weight in the shipping process compared to concentrate...it all adds up. Are we really so lazy?

Actually no one is lazy. You should be thrilled to embrace and champion the tremendous recycling the USA does voluntarily. There is more recycling of plastics, glass, metals, paper, etc, than has ever happened before--AND recycling saves energy because there is no need to process a "virgin" product, it is recycling the goods into other goods. And the USA voluntarily presorts such goods for recycling, almost as instinctually now, it seems.

It all adds up--all those individuals, by choice, voluntarily recycling. So rejoice and cheer for the positive efforts going on all around you.

Contributor

I've tried them, I like the Tide pods a lot actually (I use one or two and so far so good). I also like these from method (they smell really good) ooh.li/2262ea3 and I really like the downy infusions too (I think they have lavendar? they are supposed to help you sleep when you wash your bed sheets with them)

Honored Contributor

I've been using these lately myself.  I get the Kirkland equivalent to the Tide pods and they work just fine.  I'm still one who prefers liquid fabric softener to the sheets so I'd like to see the same kind of delivery system for that as well.  I've seen these little fabric softener beads, but haven't tried them yet, so maybe that would be an option.  Be careful not to reach into the tub of pods with wet hands, If you happen to get any of the pods wet, it'll pop a hole and leak detergent over the others and you'll have an icky mess in there.