Esteemed Contributor

LOOKING FOR AN ACCENT CHAIR FOR MY BEDROOM

[ Edited ]

I love to read in my bedroom at night after watching my favorite TV shows in the living room.  I cannot read in bed the way I did eons ago due to my bad back and hip so a comfortable chair is called for.  I have spent quite a bit of time on the Internet and have found a few possibilities, however, looking at the dimensions and reading some of the reviews is beginning to make me nervous.  Since it is for my bedroom, space is important and I can't consider a large chair.

Since I no longer drive, I don't have the luxury of taking myself to stores and my daughter has no interest so the Internet is my only source.  Some of the reviews mention a chair is small, looks like a child's chair.  If any of you have an accent chair can you give me some ideas of what is considered comfortable measurements?  For instance one chair I looked at has a seat dimension of 16"h x 21"w x 21" d.   I don't require a large seat, however, 21" wide seems kind of small.  I have also seen one seat at 19.5" wide.

I know many of you have redone a room here and there and just might have a small accent chair and can hopefully assure me it can work.  If not, any ideas or suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Honored Contributor

Re: LOOKING FOR AN ACCENT CHAIR FOR MY BEDROOM

@Lindsays Grandma 

The real reason you choose an upholstered chair: comfort. Yes, style matters—you need the chair to fit into your home decor—but you select one because it is comfortable. An upholstered chair is often the "easy chair" you use to relax.

Finding a chair that is comfortable involves considering your height, weight, the way you sit, and your center of gravity. To be comfortable, a chair should be perfectly fitted to your size and shape. Remember Goldilocks? There is a reason she chose Baby Bear's chair. Each part of the chair should fit you perfectly.

The Chair Seat

The chair seat is probably the most critical feature of an upholstered chair because it supports your weight. When shopping for a chair, consider these seat elements:

• Feel: The seat should feel soft to sit on yet at the same time it should offer firm support. If the seat sinks in too much, you will have to struggle to get out of the chair. If it is too hard, you may become uncomfortable after sitting in the chair for even a short period.
  • Angle: Your thighs should be perpendicular to the floor because you can't be comfortable if your knees are pointing up or down. Look for a seat height that is right for you. Most chairs are about 18 inches high at the seat, but you can find seats that are higher or lower to match your body shape.

• Depth: If you are taller, look for a seat with greater depth that can easily accommodate the length of your legs. A shallower depth is good if you are not very tall, or suffer from bad knees. Ideally, you should be able to sit fully back in the chair so the bottom of the chair touches your calves without applying too much pressure.
  • Width: A wider seat such that is found a chair-and-a-half is good if you like to lounge in your chair. A chair-and-a-half is also a good substitute for a love seat if you are short on space.

The Chair Back

Chair backs can be high or low, but the back is mostly there to offer lumbar support to the lower back. If you read or watch TV in your chair, you may also want a high back that offers some neck support. Chairs with lower backs are good for conversations since you tend to sit up straighter in them, but they are not as good for lounging.

There are two basic kinds of backs: those with a tight cover or those with loose cushions. You can choose whichever look appeals to you, but if you are looking for comfort, cushions do make the chair a little cozier. You can also choose a combination—a chair with a tight back and a cushioned seat or the other way around. Additional pillows along the back can have several functions:

• Offer more support
  • Make the seat shallower
  • Provide decorative accent by introducing additional color or pattern

Arms

Whether you choose a chair with arms or not is entirely a matter of personal preference. It depends on how you sit, and how often or how long you sit in that chair. If the back is slightly curved in, you will still get some support without actual armrests.

Being able to rest your arms on armrests makes for better relaxation, especially if you use the chair often. The arms are less important for a chair that is used only occasionally, such as when guests visit.

Arms come in many styles. They can be upholstered or hard and can be made of wood or metal or some other material. Or, the arms can be padded on the top while the rest is exposed. When testing a chair, pay attention to whether your arms rest naturally on the chair arm or feel awkward.

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123  If I knew where to send them I would send you flowers for this fantastic answer to my problem.  I will now go back to the post to read it from top to bottom.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  Heart

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma , i just did a chair purchase for my living room.  I had to send two back before I got lucky on the third.  My complaint was the chairs were too stiff to be comfortable.  I would up buying a leather swivel rocker recliner by IMG, a Scandinavian company.

I was looking for a chair for my living room and did not want a huge one either.

I tried the first two from Costco because of their great return policy.  Make sure you fully understand that if you are shopping online.  Good luck!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

Hello there fellow reader, I am in the process of discarding a chair that is not working.  It is fine for leaning back, but not for holding a book.

What I have discovered is that I need a small chair with padded arms close to the body and a more upright back.  I also need a foot stool.

It would pay to consider what works for you.  Reading is different.

I am considering a “nursing” rocking glider.

Frequent Contributor

I second @Still Raining on a glider rocker with ottoman. Dutailier makes the best glider rockers, great cushioning, good support, good for holding books. I got started with them 35 years ago with my first child. We currently have three, the original one, a 25 year old one, and one great score I found second hand for the master bedroom. There are a number of good brands out there. You might want to check out who sells glider rockers in your area and go to the store and check them out in person. 

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   If you lived near Naperville, IL you could go to Crate &  Barrel Outlet.  They offer chairs, tables, sofa, etc. at a discounted price.  If you know of any furniture outlets, that is a good start.  I like Pottery Barn but you have to catch a sale or check the marked down chairs online.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma ....I think it would be tough to purchase a chair on line,, you need to know if fits you properly, do you not have anyone that could run you around town to a furniture store or two so you could actually sit in the chairs.....if I was near you, I'd be willing but sadly we are only cyber acquanitances.

I do have a smaller chair in the sitting area of our master bedroom, when I get home tonight I will measure and  get back to you.

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma   I really don't see how it's possible to order a comfortable chair online for your bedroom.  You really need to sit in a chair like that.  It seems like your daughter could take you shopping for a chair just to be nice.  I know she's not interested, but couldn't she just do this for you because you need her to?  Do you have a friend who could take you?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma ....here are the measurements of the small chair in my sitting room:

From the floor to high back of chair: 31"

Over all width, left to right: 30"

Sitting area (cushion) left to right; 21"

Sitting area including rolled arms: 34"

Sitting area front to back (cushion): 21"

From floor to cushion: 16.5"