Honored Contributor

LEXINGTON DESIGNER'S COMFORTABLE HOME

Matthew Carter is a new designer to me, but am finding his work so sympatico.  The site "Chairish" describes it as something like-- traditional, with "just the right amount of eccentric".  Am paraphrasing.   I don't find it eccentric, though.  Maybe they mean his audacious use of color?   That seems normal to me though, love it.

Here's his own house in beautiful, horsey Lexington, Kentucky, which has been featured in "House Beautiful" and elsewhere:

hb-matthew-carter-600x746.png

Matthew_Carter_Chairish_1.jpg

This entry with fanlight is such a classic, and so stately.

Matthew_Carter_Chairish_5.jpg

This dining room has one of my favorite color combos, a hazy kind of robin's egg blue, with a deep but almost "acid" green...

Matthew_Carter_Chairish_6.jpg

Matthew_Carter_Chairish_2.jpg

There's something about this den I just love-- so cozy, but jaunty and international with the European poster and cosmopolitan prints...  Also coveting that rustic 'driftwoody' or twiggy lamp...

Matthew_Carter_Chairish_4.jpg

Showstopper floor in the light flooded kitchen:

4b2ea1c44766a649917d0479688485fa.jpg

I think this stunner of a bedroom is the master.  So sumptuous, yet airy and happy.

a01af952feca3f7c93ec29cccffbfc5a.jpg

His gardens are fab too.

e564a6752d2731b6b3503268377ed345.jpg

If you do a search and go to the Matthew Carter online site, you can see his gorgeous portfolio.  He's done some of Lexington's storied horse farms, just dreamy!

Trusted Contributor

Re: LEXINGTON DESIGNER'S COMFORTABLE HOME

@Oznell 

I think the first room, (living room) & the front door are my favs.  

Also, most of the area rugs are nice.  And, the robin's egg blue in the dining room.

While the living room has a tad too much in it, I would just downscale it a some. His use of yellow in a few areas draws my eyes right in.

However, for me, he uses too many ornate pieces.  The other rooms aren't appealing to me, nor is the garden area.  I don't like "rounded" shrubs.

Thank you for posting another good one @Oznell 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell  Thanks again for posting the pictures of this home. Of course the standout for me is the puppy.  I also love the kitchen and the windows to the right of the house looking towards the door. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet
Honored Contributor

The welcoming beautiful entry way is perfect and it leads you to such appealing and lovely rooms, each and every one.  However, there are some tables I would replace and I would put art work more to my taste on the walls.  Other than that , impressive.

Honored Contributor

The outside of the home is lovely.  The kitchen is nice but the living room looks like a garage sale.  I don't care for the bedroom either.  I do like the entryway.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I love the entry. Also like the kitchen. The home does look happy!

Honored Contributor

The exterior of the house is lovely, and I like the entry. There are a few items in the other rooms I like individually, but as they are - not for me. I dislike the combination of various prints & colors in most of the rooms - just too much for me. I don’t like that kitchen floor at all. 

Esteemed Contributor

I could move right in and be very happy.  A few tweeks to make it a bit more me. 

Honored Contributor

As with almost any space, it goes without saying there are elements I'd change, but overall, I really enjoy his aesthetic.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

The outside is nice, but don't like the interior at all.