Trusted Contributor

LEATHER OR FAUX FOR DINING CHAIRS ADVICE

I am having my dining room chairs recovered. My home is smaller so our only eating area is our dining room; therfore, it is used at every meal. I also have grand and great grand children who visit and can be a bit messy so I want a fabric that will not stain. I want a cream color fabric as well.  My set is Mediterranean style and the chairs are high back with upholestery and nail heads which I want to retain.  

I was thinking about a cream color leather or faux leather with the thoughts that this may be easy to keep clean.  

I would appreciate your advice.  For some reason my old apple won't let me load a picture!

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: LEATHER OR FAUX FOR DINING CHAIRS ADVICE

For me--leather would not be my choice---especially in white and especially dealing with kids and messy adults too----I would do the faux . But there are other types of fabric that could be good too and alot of them are heavy duty stain resistant or repellent that would look good and do the job. I think I'd find someone to talk to about it, an upholsterer, or interior design place. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pretty much anything cream will stain, even vinyl (faux leather).  Some of the outdoor fabrics are treated to be stain resistant so you can blot up a spill quickly and not have a stain.  I agree with @wagirl  that having an upholsterer or fabric supplier help you choose the best fabric for your use is your best bet,

Honored Contributor

I work in the furniture industry, and I can tell you we sell very little leather., Vinyls now are so beautiful and feel great, nothing like the ones from yester year. You would never even think some of them are actually vinyls and not cloth. 

Esteemed Contributor

When a family of grands were preschool, their mom "inherited" a set of chairs.  Those velvet seat only lasted a hot second 😉

She opted for plastic leather.  It must have been good quality and has lasted for about 10 years.  Yes it does eventually peel.  A couple of times I just rolled my eyes and called the furbaby to pre-lick.  You will love have how they clean up.

Someday you can have your leather, but for now go with easy clean.  

Esteemed Contributor

I would opt for the man made option. I love leather but since your chairs are in daily use I don't think that would be practical. I would also consider a set of chair covers for when the grandchildren are in your home. It's an extra layer of security for spills and sticky fingers.   '

Honored Contributor

@Fressa 

I was going to suggest this too. Vinyl over the newly covered chairs.

There are clear ones available … 

I have had very good luck with fabrics (for chairs) from Ballard Design and Pottery Barn.

Not sure about current prices.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

I would look into Sunbrella fabric. This fabric is made for outdoor use and now they sell upholstery fabric for indoor use.

This fabric wears like iron.  You can scrub it and wipe it clean.  It is not cheap, but you get what you pay for. It comes in many shades and styles of cream.  Buy with confidence.

This fabric is also used for marine applications.  Our boat awning is made from Sunbrella and it is over 20 years old.  It is easy to clean, never fades and still looks brand new.

I am getting my dinette cushions reupholstered in Sunbrella fabric.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Calcgirl 

would go with  leather look vinyl from experience  with counter stools  with vinyl covered seating.  Just buy extra  yards  in  the same dye lot in case one or more  stain  beyond what soap & water can clean. 

How to remove stains from faux leather
  1. Wet a microfiber cloth with cool or warm water. Never use hot water as it can warp or even melt faux leather.
  2. Squeeze out excess water until the cloth is only damp.
  3. Wipe or lightly scrub the stain
Esteemed Contributor

LTT1---I've had good luck with Ballard Designs as well.  My last set of dining room chair covers were from Sure Fit/QVC in a brocade fabric. Fit and look was great!