Esteemed Contributor

Re: Knob or Lever on Patio Door?

Yes, @nana59 , I'm in agreement and I think it makes a compelling reason to go with the lever.  Thank you.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

I happen to love the glow and warmth of brass.  It will come back in Vogue....every thing is cyclical !!!

Ignore the turned up noses....their choice will be passé once the TV decor shows switch over, lol !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Super Contributor

@nana59 wrote:

i have arthritis in my hands...levers are easier than turning a knob.....

Same here. Arthritis always gets worse and we changed to levers years ago. Some bad days I don't even think I could turn a knob.

Honored Contributor

I believe these are called atrium doors. My parents had one installed in their family room to replace a sliding glass door. They went with a lever. It is pretty and we do hear how practical they are, but lately I'm finding I don't care for them. It seems everything tends to get caught on them and it's annoying, Personally, I'd opt for a pretty knob.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

We had our sliding doors replaced last Fall.  The previous & the new doors both have lever handles, but the new door style is much nicer & has better locking features.  I also think they look much nicer than the knob, but of course, it's your choice.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

I prefer levers to knobs.

Super Contributor

I also have french doors that lead out to my patio where one door is stationary and the other opens.  I opted to have levers instead of knobs installed on both doors, even though only one opened.  It just looked more symmetrical to me.

Man plans. God laughs.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks all for the input!  I really appreciate it.  

I've decided on a lever in an updated style in bright brass (@jlkz you warmed the cockles of my heart!).  I think I could have enjoyed any number of options, since they're nice doors and lead to a glorious woodland, but since I had a choice I think I made the best one for me.

Side note:  @stevieb , yes, those handles are a work around when it comes to window coverings.  The shades I have currently, I have to tuck behind the lever, but I'm accustomed to it.  Fair point, though.

Happy summer to everybody.  Thanks for taking the time to help me decide.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia  Lots of levers where I live and I find they seem to reach out and grab lots of things, not just window coverings, but they certainly have advantages and can be very pretty. I don't think you can go wrong with a decorative lever and am sure your door will be lovely. Smiley Happy

In my pantry with my cupcakes...