Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

@Katcat1 wrote:

@Mominohio  Have you considered IKEA?  They actually show you pictures of the finished room.  I believe with IKEA you can do or you can have IKEA do it.  Something to consider.  Check it out online, there are endless choices for countertops, cabinets, etc.

@Katcat1 

Nearest IKEA is like 70 miles from us, and I've read a lot of bad reviews about their cabinets, so I just didn't go there. I should at least look at their line, but my first impression of anything IKEA is 'modern' which just isn't me. I should look though, as often things aren't what I think they will be! LOL

Honored Contributor

@ptagirl wrote:

@Mominohio Had my kitchen remodeled two years ago and had  soft close drawers  installed, but also had an easy- reach cupboard installed in the corner instead of a lazy susan ... I LOVE IT!... the door is double hinged and swings out and  you can literally reach into the bottom corner to get out pots/pans without standing on your head...

I had a bank of large soft close drawers installed for use of all my baking pans, mixing bowls, etc.. and the top drawer for spices and my large parchment papers...

I  had to order the corner cabinet, the drawer bank and another cupboard to go on top beside my stove... then repurposed all the rest, I cleaned and painted an ivory color with triple satin polycoat over top... changed out all the hardware to a dark bronze...a 60/40 Siligranit (cream color) drop in sink with grates in both sides... new faucet with spray head... and dark  (greys/black/tan colored ) laminate countertop, which I also love... I ended up spending more for the additional cabinets and the sink I wanted.... I figure if my countertops don't last long, It won't be much of a problem changing them out, as I have the drop-in sink, instead of undermount.... MUCH easier to change out and it works for me and was much easier on the budget... I do wish I would've had the electrician wire for undercabinet lights.... I have them, but they're not hardwired  ...but they serve the purpose...I also did lots of research ahead of time to get an idea of what I wanted and how I wanted to improve the function of my kitchen...

Then I ordered things ahead of time.... i.e. range hood, faucet, sink baskets, cupboard hardware, light fixtures,etc.... and stock-piled it...most were on sale... then when the kitchen people came to give me an estimate, I showed them what I had ordered already and they could implement them into the design/plans and install them for me as they went along...it saved me a lot of money that way...also had them repurpose as much from the original trims (fillers and crown molding) to save money... I did the backsplash myself a few months later....I really love how my kitchen turned out and they did a fantastic job... you won't be sorry you went with a kitchen designer... they know what they're doing and know how to implement things into the design...don't be afraid to visit their showroom to get ideas, too... that's how I found out about the large drawers and easy-reach corner cabinet....have fun with your remodel... it's a mess, but well worth it in the long run... Good Luck!

@ptagirl 

We are definitely looking at those easy reach corner cabinets in the lower cabinets, and I think for me is a much smarter idea than the lazy susan type. I'm so glad you took the time to comment on that as I wondered if in reality it will be as good as I think it will. The current corner cabinets go back into such unreachable depth and while I have a ton of square feet in storage space there, I don't use anything stored back there, because it is just to much work to get to it, so it really isn't usable space for me anymore anyway! That is probably one of the things I have let myself get most excited about, is cabinets that while they might not have as much actual space, will finally be functional!

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@Mominohio 

We did our kitchen and baths about 4 years ago.

One thing, very minor maybe, but if you are planning to get new faucets  the ones with a pull down sprayer built into the faucet are very nice, we chose that and it is so handy.  If you do get one be sure that it has a magnet which will hold the sprayer up.  There is a spring inside the faucet to do this, but  but it quickly stretches out.

My SIL did her kitchen a year after we did and got a similar one to ours without the magnet, her sprayer will no longer hold in the retracted position.

Good luck, hope your foundation and roof are OK.

@Drythe 

Great input on the faucet. 

I want to keep the one I have, because it is rather new, will keep cost down, and I like it well enough. But I have always wondered how long lasting and practical the pull down ones would be. Great information about the magnet option, and definitely something I would never have known about. So if we do upgrade the faucet, I now have better knowledge, thanks for that!

Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@queendiva wrote:

Agree with the above reasons for a single, large bowl siligranite undermount sink.

For the flooring you will get for two rooms: wood or wood look laminate. You could also consider the newer wood look porcelain tile "planks". 

Have you considered a large area rug for your DR? Perhaps that would provide a look more to your liking and tie the floor and furnishings together. Also, do you maybe have too many wood furniture items in the DR? Maybe that's adding to the visual that you are not loving. As you know, often times Less is More.

I think change and updating, on a small or large scale, is fun and exciting! I also like your plan for financing the project once you decide the time and dollars are right. As usual, the women who have replied to this post have " been there, done that" and have provided excellent feedback.

Wishing you Good Luck!

I visited some model homes last weekend, @queendiva , and there was extensive use of the wood-look tile/porcelain flooring.  It was simply gorgeous.

If you don't mind standing on a harder surface in the kitchen, @Mominohio , it may be something to consider.  On the other hand, the newer laminates are pretty gorgeous, too, and have a softer feel underfoot, as I'm sure you already know.

@GingerPeach 

@queendiva 

Unfortunately, the flooring surface needs to be as soft as possible, bad knees and life long hip issues make super hard surfaces like concrete a killer for me. I have a wood floor now, and it isn't horrible, but definitely need to go as soft as I can find that still looks like I want it to.

Respected Contributor

By virtue of fact that you want softer floor surface, don’t let word vinyl scare you. The luxury vinyl looks like wood or porcelain but Kinder on knees and back. I Europe they use cork and theirs lasts years but have not heard of here.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio Can you set aside one room or even a garage with good lighting to use as a kitchen?

We have a rec room downstairs and we set this up as a kitchen as we had no kitchen for six months. DH put the old kitchen drawers on saw horses and we had foldable tables for the appliances, etc. I had everything I needed and made some of the best meals ever in the six months down there, lol.

I had a microwave, a two burner on which I was able to fry, a toaster oven, slow cooker, and we moved the webber to an area outside the slider of the rec room.  I did everything I do in a kitchen except make pasta and soups, things like that.

I lost weight going up and downstairs to the refrigerator which was in the hall, and it was an adventure and fun.  DH went upstqairs to eat in the family room, while DD and I ate in the rec room.  I had a small dvd player that we take with us in vacations, so that was my entertainment, mostly listened to it while preparing meals, and watched while I ate.

I washed dishes in the bathroom next to the rec room, and later on when the granite looking laminate was applied to the counter in the pantry, I washed the dishes in there.

@mousiegirl 

You read my mind (again!).

I've kind of been thinking about how we navigate the whole eating thing should we do this, even if it is just for a couple of weeks, as the kitchen is definitely the heart of this home. 

We have a great family room in the lowest level, but unfortunately there is no water on that level, except the washing machine. I guess if we used plastic dishes, it would put a whole new 'spin' on 'dishwasher! LOL

I do have lots of alternate cooking things. Microwave, electric skillet, electric stock pot, large roaster, crock pot, so food prep supplies and space isn't an issue if I get creative enough, It's water supply for easy access that will be a bit troubling. 

My first idea is to create lots of freezer meals, that we just pull out and heat. Pre cook and freeze meals for several weeks ahead, so true cooking and all the mess it entails isn't necessary. Then there is always a good supply of cereal and milk! LOL

@Mominohio wrote:

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio Can you set aside one room or even a garage with good lighting to use as a kitchen?

We have a rec room downstairs and we set this up as a kitchen as we had no kitchen for six months. DH put the old kitchen drawers on saw horses and we had foldable tables for the appliances, etc. I had everything I needed and made some of the best meals ever in the six months down there, lol.

I had a microwave, a two burner on which I was able to fry, a toaster oven, slow cooker, and we moved the webber to an area outside the slider of the rec room.  I did everything I do in a kitchen except make pasta and soups, things like that.

I lost weight going up and downstairs to the refrigerator which was in the hall, and it was an adventure and fun.  DH went upstqairs to eat in the family room, while DD and I ate in the rec room.  I had a small dvd player that we take with us in vacations, so that was my entertainment, mostly listened to it while preparing meals, and watched while I ate.

I washed dishes in the bathroom next to the rec room, and later on when the granite looking laminate was applied to the counter in the pantry, I washed the dishes in there.

@mousiegirl 

You read my mind (again!).

I've kind of been thinking about how we navigate the whole eating thing should we do this, even if it is just for a couple of weeks, as the kitchen is definitely the heart of this home. 

We have a great family room in the lowest level, but unfortunately there is no water on that level, except the washing machine. I guess if we used plastic dishes, it would put a whole new 'spin' on 'dishwasher! LOL

I do have lots of alternate cooking things. Microwave, electric skillet, electric stock pot, large roaster, crock pot, so food prep supplies and space isn't an issue if I get creative enough, It's water supply for easy access that will be a bit troubling. 

My first idea is to create lots of freezer meals, that we just pull out and heat. Pre cook and freeze meals for several weeks ahead, so true cooking and all the mess it entails isn't necessary. Then there is always a good supply of cereal and milk! LOL

@Mominohio   Freezing is a good idea, I did freeze some pasta meals, worked out fine.

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

For counter tops, check out Wilsonart high pressure laminates.  When we remodeled our small kitchen six years ago, I wanted quartz or granite until I saw the cost.  Several thousand dollars for counter tops wasn't in the budget.  The folks who sold us our cabinets recommended Wilsonart Laminate.  I chose Bella Capri.  Love it and do not regret one little bit about passing on granite.  We have white painted cabinets and stainless steel appliances.  I wanted a stainless steel sink, but we ended up with laminate and I am pleased. 

Just looked these up, and I have to say, for what the price difference must be, I would be over the  moon with the look I saw in some of these counters. Are they holding up well to use? Thanks for this idea!

@KentuckyWoman 

@Mominohio These laminate counter tops look exactly the same as they did the day they were installed.  I have a U shaped kitchen so we had to miter in two places but those seams have held up perfectly.  Easy to clean.  I do use cooling racks and trivets for hot dishes.  I love it.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

@Drythe wrote:

@Mominohio 

We did our kitchen and baths about 4 years ago.

One thing, very minor maybe, but if you are planning to get new faucets  the ones with a pull down sprayer built into the faucet are very nice, we chose that and it is so handy.  If you do get one be sure that it has a magnet which will hold the sprayer up.  There is a spring inside the faucet to do this, but  but it quickly stretches out.

My SIL did her kitchen a year after we did and got a similar one to ours without the magnet, her sprayer will no longer hold in the retracted position.

Good luck, hope your foundation and roof are OK.

@Drythe 

Great input on the faucet. 

I want to keep the one I have, because it is rather new, will keep cost down, and I like it well enough. But I have always wondered how long lasting and practical the pull down ones would be. Great information about the magnet option, and definitely something I would never have known about. So if we do upgrade the faucet, I now have better knowledge, thanks for that!

@Mominohio 

The sales person at Ferguson’s told me when I was looking at new ones.  Since then I’ve seen a few dangling, have been grateful for her info.  I also had no idea.

I hope you enjoy your new kitchen.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Frequent Contributor

@Mominohio We have off-white Merillat cabinets everywhere.  The original owners liked white so everything was white including the carpets.  (That's a story for another thread).Smiley Happy

I love the cabinets and the color.  The only thing that drives me slightly nuts is I have to clean them regularly (at least the kitchen and bathrooms) becuase they collect dust, spills, dog slobber, etc.  They have been very easy to work with as far as paint colors, decor and appliances.  Good luck on your renovation.  Please post pictures when you have finished it!