Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

@GingerPeach quartz patterns you posted by chance Cambria?  I have Cambria and really like it.  In fact, I got a sample three years before I even started my kitchen remodel and stuck with the same color when I finally did the kitchen.

Respected Contributor

@ Alleghany
Only have had Cambria a couple of months but very pleased. I must admit I am super careful- probably too much babying.
If on tighter budget plan, I would imagine today’s laminates have much to offer. Mine was 30 years old and only had a few knife knicks. Installation is probably key on either item.
Honored Contributor

@Allegheny wrote:

@GingerPeach quartz patterns you posted by chance Cambria?  I have Cambria and really like it.  In fact, I got a sample three years before I even started my kitchen remodel and stuck with the same color when I finally did the kitchen.

The color patterns in the image was just a random one I found on the internet.  My own quartz countertop is, like yours, Cambria.  I have the "Bradford" pattern with a warm yellow subway tile backsplash. I love mine, too, @Allegheny 

Image result for quartz countertop color bradford

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@GingerPeach

Very nice.  I think Cambria discontinued my color/pattern. It is very subtle, earthy.  I used it for my backsplash as well as I wanted something easy to clean, but that added substantially to the cost.

Honored Contributor

@froggy wrote:

@Mominohio 

I have to agree with you about the Home forum these days. I have been reluctant to say anything because I think the posters mean well but the quantity of their postings just take over the forum. I usually just skip over it now. Maybe we need another category for these types of posts - Decorating Inspiration or something like that.

I like your idea, @froggy , and the way you supported it.  Well said.

@Mominohio 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@queendiva wrote:

Agree with the above reasons for a single, large bowl siligranite undermount sink.

For the flooring you will get for two rooms: wood or wood look laminate. You could also consider the newer wood look porcelain tile "planks". 

Have you considered a large area rug for your DR? Perhaps that would provide a look more to your liking and tie the floor and furnishings together. Also, do you maybe have too many wood furniture items in the DR? Maybe that's adding to the visual that you are not loving. As you know, often times Less is More.

I think change and updating, on a small or large scale, is fun and exciting! I also like your plan for financing the project once you decide the time and dollars are right. As usual, the women who have replied to this post have " been there, done that" and have provided excellent feedback.

Wishing you Good Luck!

I visited some model homes last weekend, @queendiva , and there was extensive use of the wood-look tile/porcelain flooring.  It was simply gorgeous.

If you don't mind standing on a harder surface in the kitchen, @Mominohio , it may be something to consider.  On the other hand, the newer laminates are pretty gorgeous, too, and have a softer feel underfoot, as I'm sure you already know.

Honored Contributor

@KentuckyWoman wrote:

For counter tops, check out Wilsonart high pressure laminates.  When we remodeled our small kitchen six years ago, I wanted quartz or granite until I saw the cost.  Several thousand dollars for counter tops wasn't in the budget.  The folks who sold us our cabinets recommended Wilsonart Laminate.  I chose Bella Capri.  Love it and do not regret one little bit about passing on granite.  We have white painted cabinets and stainless steel appliances.  I wanted a stainless steel sink, but we ended up with laminate and I am pleased. 

Just looked these up, and I have to say, for what the price difference must be, I would be over the  moon with the look I saw in some of these counters. Are they holding up well to use? Thanks for this idea!

@KentuckyWoman 

Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@scatcat wrote:

Can I make a comment about granite?

We’ve had 4 different granite countertops over the past 19 years. I have never sealed any of them. Never had an issue.  

Our latest granite was installed in December and it came “sealed” and good for 10 (or did she say 15?) years. Either way, so easy. I never think granite = hard maintenance. It’s so durable 

I don't understand when people say granite is so hard to maintain. 

I literally wipe my counters down daily and that's about it.  I admit, I don't abuse my counters and they're very good quality. 

I think her issue with the granite involved the price too.

@faeriemoon 

@Bri369 

Yes, it is mostly about price. I've always been under the impression that granite, quartz and marble are super expensive, relative to something like Formica. I really need a kitchen redo, but I really need to stay in a budget. And while it seems we've been conditioned to see them as beautiful and high end, my initial reaction to them, when they started becoming popular was (is?) that they are cold (as in give the look a cold or sterile kind of feel, not about the temp of the surface). I've come past that some, but it is still in my gut feeling that while stunningly gorgeous, there is a 'cold' factor there for me.

I really don't discount the fact that counters, especially my counters, can take a real beating with heavy canning pots, hot pans, lots of chopping and cutting etc. And the old countertops I have, really have held up well considering the abuse I've given them, and the people before me even more so. So I do get that a bigger investment now might pay off in how well they hold up for the long term, for sure and will be pricing that out with the contractor. 

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@Mominohio Can you set aside one room or even a garage with good lighting to use as a kitchen?

We have a rec room downstairs and we set this up as a kitchen as we had no kitchen for six months. DH put the old kitchen drawers on saw horses and we had foldable tables for the appliances, etc. I had everything I needed and made some of the best meals ever in the six months down there, lol.

I had a microwave, a two burner on which I was able to fry, a toaster oven, slow cooker, and we moved the webber to an area outside the slider of the rec room.  I did everything I do in a kitchen except make pasta and soups, things like that.

I lost weight going up and downstairs to the refrigerator which was in the hall, and it was an adventure and fun.  DH went upstqairs to eat in the family room, while DD and I ate in the rec room.  I had a small dvd player that we take with us in vacations, so that was my entertainment, mostly listened to it while preparing meals, and watched while I ate.

I washed dishes in the bathroom next to the rec room, and later on when the granite looking laminate was applied to the counter in the pantry, I washed the dishes in there.

@mousiegirl 

You read my mind (again!).

I've kind of been thinking about how we navigate the whole eating thing should we do this, even if it is just for a couple of weeks, as the kitchen is definitely the heart of this home. 

We have a great family room in the lowest level, but unfortunately there is no water on that level, except the washing machine. I guess if we used plastic dishes, it would put a whole new 'spin' on 'dishwasher! LOL

I do have lots of alternate cooking things. Microwave, electric skillet, electric stock pot, large roaster, crock pot, so food prep supplies and space isn't an issue if I get creative enough, It's water supply for easy access that will be a bit troubling. 

My first idea is to create lots of freezer meals, that we just pull out and heat. Pre cook and freeze meals for several weeks ahead, so true cooking and all the mess it entails isn't necessary. Then there is always a good supply of cereal and milk! LOL

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

So true about the pages & pages of rooms!  I was thinking the same thing -- I don't go there much because you need to try to get to "real" home things posted.

I wanted to say -- people in this community have refaced the cabinets. We got pricing for this but our cabinets were junk BUT interestingly the refacing was a little more than buying new cabinets.  

I bought Innovations full wood soft close cabinets in coastal cream & I designed the kitchen vs. what the kitchen "designer" kept suggesting.  (White cabinets with shaker style.)

@homedecor1 

Yes, I've heard that the refacing can be quite the rip off. 

When we first bought the house, we got a quote (this would have been like in about 1995) and it was in the $5000 range to resurface. We were financially tapped out after the move and all the other renovations we had done, and I got pregnant, so that whole idea went on the back burner. Called the same company five years later and asked for the same job and materials to be quoted again. Not only were the materials no longer the same, the price had doubled. End of that idea! LOL 

And yes, while our cabinets have been sturdy enough for maybe a resurface, the drawers are all plastic and plastic fronted, and falling apart, so with all that to be replaced, it doesn't seem to make sense to not just do it all!