Honored Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

@froggy wrote:

I guess I am in the minority because I don't like Corian at all. And as someone else mentioned it is not cheap. I chose a sand colored corian when we built our house and immediately hated it. Just pushing a plate across the counter would leave a mark. Sure you can buff it out, but that is a pain. If you don't want the expense of granite or marble I would go with a good quality laminate.

The thing that makes my life a lot easier is pull-outs in my bottom caninets. No more getting down on hands and knees searching for stuff in the back of the bottom cabinet. That is one thing I will never be without again.

@froggy 

Thanks for that look at Corian. While I can be gentle on things, I don't want something that is going to scratch easily with every little move. Definitely something I need to pay attention to.

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

@Mominohio  How's Kraftmaid's appeal if you want stock cabinets? There's a Kraftmaid outlet in Warren. I think open 1 Saturday a month. Get there early. They have granite for dirt cheap. 

I'm heading to the Kohler Outlet in WI this month. Open to the public only 2 days a year. May be too far for you but I never pay retail if I can help it.

@Snowpuppy 

I've heard of Kraftmaid, and I swear they used to manufacture near here, but I could be confused! LOL 

We are working with a local business, and I don't know if this is a line they offer. I'm pretty set on choosing one business that will do all the work. This isn't something I want to piece together with different contractors, and I asked about their lower priced lines. I will check to see if they offer Kraftmaid for sure. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio : my two cents worth.

Just freshly completed my kitchen reno on a budget a few weeks ago. I kept most of my ugly but well made cabinets, replacing only the three uppers surrounding the range with 42" Wolf cabinets. The lowest end of the price range matched my newly painted white ones in style and color. Very pleased with the look, price and quality.

Kept all my appliances, as two of the three are SS and all are working. I found that Corian scratched, especially over the DW, with taking plates and glasses in and out. The price of granite has come down- may be worth taking a look. I also upgraded my lighting from a hideous fluorescent fixture to recessed LEDs. Fabulous! I bought awesome under cabinet lights on sale at Costco. Super easy installation. A 4-pack of lights was about $25.00. Remote, batteries and dimmers included!

I went with brushed satin knobs for the cabinets- no handles. Square with rounded edges. Nothing too fancy or pricey. Comfortable on the hands- no sharp edges that square pulls would have. My sink-love!- granite composite. Super easy to clean. I like it so much better than the SS or enamel sinks that I had in the past. The new one is single bowl and deep, comes in a variety of light and dark colors and was very easy on the budget. Highly, highly recommend. I went with a medium gray. Check out Build dot com- a great resource for so many things and prices beat the big box stores.

I kept my floor. It's fine, nothing special, does not bother me. Painted walls, trim and cabinets.

I was on budget until I fell in love with a glass tile for the small backsplash area (79 in.)

It's gorgeous, but the tile as well as the specialty installer totally broke the bank! Did not know until the tile was received. It was special order and could not be returned. Should have gone with something less expensive and easy to install. It's my only (semi) regret.

I started planning right after Jan.1 and work was completed @ March 14. DS just has to install two shelves on Saturday. I think that was a really short time line.

Get estimates, of course and see how long for your painter to be available. Cabinets took just a few weeks- maybe a little less for you as I think they are made in Ohio. Because my job took place in the winter, none of the trades were very busy and the painter gave me a 10% discount. My job did not require permits/ inspections for building, electrical or plumbing.

Best advice: Take your time to develop your plans and colors , shop around, but do not make yourself crazy, ask trades people for recommendations and add at least 10% to the budget up front for the unknowns that always seem to come up regardless of how well you plan. Even if your remodel goes on the back burner it is not too soon at all to start developing a plan and looking at materials, appliances, cabinets, etc, etc.

Enjoy the process even though, in my case, I was without a kitchen from Tues through the following Monday. I did have a fridge/ freezer and a microwave in the dining room, but no water, no use of stove/ oven and just paper plates/ cups and utensils for a week plus. If you have not remodeled a kitchen in many years you will want to look into the many new materials available, often very budget friendly. I did the kitchen in my previous home 12 years ago and much has changed in that relatively short time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Mominohio 

First off glad to see you on the boards!  I was hoping all was OK & of course, it seems like you've been busy in the process of some remodeling.

So here's my 2 cents:  

4 years ago I had a full kitchen remodel, galley style & now I wish I had done more research for ideas.  Although, I love it!

I did full wood cabinets with soft-close drawers, which I do love.  I chose a cream color vs. white and used pewter drawer pulls. 

I replaced the cabinets because they were "particle board" track housing junk☹️.  I also added a cabinet for glasses, cups and a bank of cabinets (above my sink) which does not block the viewing into the den area.  I also took out the bottom cabinets & replaced with deep drawer cabinets -- I'm so glad I did. No wasted space or bending over to "look" for something in the back.

Then came the countertop decision.  I spent hours & hours comparing products.  At one point, the contractor suggested formica & boy, you'd never know it was formica.  I was going to use Corian until my friend told me how much care you need to take in not putting hot pot, cutting, scratches easy, etc. Plus, she said they can "buff" out scratches.

I chose granite with a "rounded beveled edge" I do "reseal" every December & it very easy process.  it's a breeze to keep clean.  I use Weidman granite cleaner after cleaning up from dinner every nite -- just spray on.  My mistake I should have gone a little lighter -- mine is pretty but I should have done white/cream background.  (Spouse is not hearing I want to change it $$$).

Then, since I was on a "budget" I did not replace my appliances since they were only 4 years old (bought when I purchased home) although they're white they seem to blend ok.  

I had all new flooring (ceramic tile) in last year in light birch.  Very costly so it had to wait!

Honestly, it's amazing how fast the budget went out the window -- I estimated $10,000 for entire job and it was about $1000 over.  

Most important thing whoever you hire be sure they are licensed, bonded & insured.  To me, this is my priority -- I'm willing to pay more for their services.  

And lastly, be sure to read the contract before you sign to see what is included.  I was surprised when the installer finished & the cabinet company was only contracted for demo, install & granite -nothing else!  I had to hire a electrician to install lighting and upgrade electrical.  Plumber installed all new plumbing. 

I would remodel the kitchen based on "your needs" not what the kitchen designers tell you what you need!   Oh, and believe me I know the cost of a new roof😳😳😳just put new one on 2 years ago & I have a villa.  

Happy remodeling!

@homedecor1 

I miss being on the forums lately, but honestly, the home forum has gone a way I really don't enjoy, with all the posts of various rooms/homes etc. and the commenting on them. I mean I like a little of that, but I feel a lot of actual poster's real life questions, pics, sharing has just gotten lost in those other posts, to the point where I sometimes have to really search for the purging thread to keep up with it. 

Anywho, as usual, you have hit on a number of things that resonate with me.

I'm looking at an ivory/cream finish to the cabinets. Everyone is pushing white, and it just seems too sterile or modern for the rest of the decor on my main floor. Because the living, dining and kitchen areas all are visible from each other, I think the feel of the house would be much better if I followed my cream/tan/brown. craze I have been in for a long time now. I have seen some pretty wood stains that I like too, but I'm really drawn to making the space lighter, after 25 years of dark cabinets. 

I'm glad to hear you felt you could keep your white appliances. That is what I have now, and while the fridge is 35 years old and really should be replaced, I don't want to replace the stove right now. I need to see if almond/bisque/ivory type appliances are still available. I know they were in years past and that is what I'd like to replace with. I just don't like stainless or black. 

I have no idea what to expect for a price, and am anxious to hear from the contractor. I hear people say the average kitchen remodel is like $30,000, and I can tell you, I'll never get it done if it is in that price range. Some of the things people have shared here for prices give me a bit of hope that we might still be in the running though. 

My angle with my husband has been that we could really replace my car, as it is a 2005 with over 200,000 miles on it, but I'd be willing to keep the car and put what a new car would cost, into a kitchen remodel, if he is agreeable. And we never buy a fancy car, if new, it is always a base model. I figure if I can pay off a car in 5 years, I could pay off the same price kitchen in the same time. And it helps that hubby is a mechanic, so he can keep the car going for relative little money! LOL

I hear you about licensed bonded and insured. I always demand that, it just isn't worth the chance to hire someone who isn't. And I was told that the company we are using does everything we might need, including plumbing and electrical (even though I don't expect to need those things). The only thing they don't do is paint, and I need painting done, so that kind of bums me out. They even do floors, although at first glance, it seemed they didn't have a lot of choices in flooring, so I may go somewhere else for that.

Honored Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

I don't like Corian.  I'm sorry to be blunt.  I just don't like it.  I would rather see a high-grade laminate with rounded edges than Corian.

The sink - get the best one you can afford.  You spend a lot of time at a sink, so make sure it's the depth you want.  I love stainless sinks.  They're easy to keep clean and look good for the long haul.

Cabinets - pull out drawers are so nice.  

Bottom line - get the most functionality for your budget.  It's a room that you spend a lot of time in and you need it to be functional and beautiful without going overboard on price.

@Bri369 

THanks for the honesty on the Corian. I'm not sure I really like it better than some of today's laminates either. I was just wondering if it would be more seamless (I have some huge and ugly seams in current kitchen) and if it might be more durable. I can live with the look, if it would be more durable than laminate, but if not, the price difference is not going to be worth it for me.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add re: flooring. Another poster mentioned to avoid a dark colored floor of any material as the dark floor shows everything and will make you crazy! ITA.

I gave you thumbs up on the Wolf cabinets and suggest as others have the granite-type under mount sink to coordinate with your choice of countertop.

Don't sweat the backsplash. It's the very last thing to do in the kitchen. In my previous kitchen reno I found my perfect backsplash tile at a yard sale! Also look into Habitat for Humanity ReStore or similar for tile at bargain prices as well as many other budget friendly materials, including scrubable paint and wallpaper.

I have really enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread!

Honored Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

Just wanted to add re: flooring. Another poster mentioned to avoid a dark colored floor of any material as the dark floor shows everything and will make you crazy! ITA.

I gave you thumbs up on the Wolf cabinets and suggest as others have the granite-type under mount sink to coordinate with your choice of countertop.

Don't sweat the backsplash. It's the very last thing to do in the kitchen. In my previous kitchen reno I found my perfect backsplash tile at a yard sale! Also look into Habitat for Humanity ReStore or similar for tile at bargain prices as well as many other budget friendly materials, including scrubable paint and wallpaper.

I have really enjoyed reading all the responses to this thread!

@queendiva 

I"m glad you have a positive experience with the Wolf cabinets. That helps a lot. 

And the flooring will be my hardest decision, as it will run through two rooms, one filled with wood furniture, in several different shades. I have darker wood flooring now, and it is a pain when it comes to showing everything. I really want to lighten it up, but I have an issue with wood sitting on wood. It can get real 'busy' looking. I had never noticed it until I looked as some photographs of my dining room. I thought it was nice in person, but I don't like the way it looks in photos, and really pointed out something I hadn't noticed before. 

Respected Contributor

@Mominohio  We renovated our galley kitchen about 25 years ago. About 15 years ago, we had a problem with the “seatings” for the kitchen drawers breaking, causing the drawers to fall into the  drawers below them. The cabinet company didn’t carry the parts anymore, so we had to look around for a solution. We found a company called Shelf Genie to do the repairs. One of the best things we did was have them install pull-out shelves in the cabinets above the refrigerator and wall oven and in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. They also put a mini 2-tiered shelf on the side of the undersink pull-out for smaller jars, bottles, etc. that get lost down there. Now it’s easy to reach items in all of those cabinets. 

We also had to replace our kitchen faucet last year. The one we got looks like a regular faucet, but the end is a sprayer that pulls out. It’s great for filling pots or pitchers on the counter without having to try to balance them over the sink or runnng the plumbing for a professional pot filler at the stove. 

I agree with with those who recommended building some extra money into the budget for unexpected issues. There’s always something. 😉

Respected Contributor

Have been very pleased with new vinyl floor- looks like tile. Does not show dirt, easy to clean, easy on feet. When beginning planning I was told to start with floor and that did help with color of cabinets, countertop, etc
Respected Contributor

@Mominohio 

I have to agree with you about the Home forum these days. I have been reluctant to say anything because I think the posters mean well but the quantity of their postings just take over the forum. I usually just skip over it now. Maybe we need another category for these types of posts - Decorating Inspiration or something like that.