Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen renovation input needed

I guess I am in the minority because I don't like Corian at all. And as someone else mentioned it is not cheap. I chose a sand colored corian when we built our house and immediately hated it. Just pushing a plate across the counter would leave a mark. Sure you can buff it out, but that is a pain. If you don't want the expense of granite or marble I would go with a good quality laminate.

The thing that makes my life a lot easier is pull-outs in my bottom caninets. No more getting down on hands and knees searching for stuff in the back of the bottom cabinet. That is one thing I will never be without again.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio  How's Kraftmaid's appeal if you want stock cabinets? There's a Kraftmaid outlet in Warren. I think open 1 Saturday a month. Get there early. They have granite for dirt cheap. 

I'm heading to the Kohler Outlet in WI this month. Open to the public only 2 days a year. May be too far for you but I never pay retail if I can help it.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mominohio 

First off glad to see you on the boards!  I was hoping all was OK & of course, it seems like you've been busy in the process of some remodeling.

So here's my 2 cents:  

4 years ago I had a full kitchen remodel, galley style & now I wish I had done more research for ideas.  Although, I love it!

I did full wood cabinets with soft-close drawers, which I do love.  I chose a cream color vs. white and used pewter drawer pulls. 

I replaced the cabinets because they were "particle board" track housing junk☹️.  I also added a cabinet for glasses, cups and a bank of cabinets (above my sink) which does not block the viewing into the den area.  I also took out the bottom cabinets & replaced with deep drawer cabinets -- I'm so glad I did. No wasted space or bending over to "look" for something in the back.

Then came the countertop decision.  I spent hours & hours comparing products.  At one point, the contractor suggested formica & boy, you'd never know it was formica.  I was going to use Corian until my friend told me how much care you need to take in not putting hot pot, cutting, scratches easy, etc. Plus, she said they can "buff" out scratches.

I chose granite with a "rounded beveled edge" I do "reseal" every December & it very easy process.  it's a breeze to keep clean.  I use Weidman granite cleaner after cleaning up from dinner every nite -- just spray on.  My mistake I should have gone a little lighter -- mine is pretty but I should have done white/cream background.  (Spouse is not hearing I want to change it $$$).

Then, since I was on a "budget" I did not replace my appliances since they were only 4 years old (bought when I purchased home) although they're white they seem to blend ok.  

I had all new flooring (ceramic tile) in last year in light birch.  Very costly so it had to wait!

Honestly, it's amazing how fast the budget went out the window -- I estimated $10,000 for entire job and it was about $1000 over.  

Most important thing whoever you hire be sure they are licensed, bonded & insured.  To me, this is my priority -- I'm willing to pay more for their services.  

And lastly, be sure to read the contract before you sign to see what is included.  I was surprised when the installer finished & the cabinet company was only contracted for demo, install & granite -nothing else!  I had to hire a electrician to install lighting and upgrade electrical.  Plumber installed all new plumbing. 

I would remodel the kitchen based on "your needs" not what the kitchen designers tell you what you need!   Oh, and believe me I know the cost of a new roof😳😳😳just put new one on 2 years ago & I have a villa.  

Happy remodeling!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

If you're on a budget, I don't see how Corian is a bargain.  This is an expensive product and can be priced the same as granite.

My friend just redid her kitchen and when I went to see her update, I was shocked and surprised that she went with  Carrera marble.  It was beautiful.

After I oooed and awed over the sheer beauty of it, she said it was laminate.  What?!??

The new laminate is not your mother's.    I have granite, but would have considered laminate, the new stuff,   had it been available when I got new counters. Her counter even had a fancy edge like granite.

i wouldn't rule out one of the new laminate stone patterns.

@Carmie   I have this type of counter top in the rec room and pantry downstairs, and it looks exactly like granite, really nice.

Honored Contributor

I don't like Corian.  I'm sorry to be blunt.  I just don't like it.  I would rather see a high-grade laminate with rounded edges than Corian.

The sink - get the best one you can afford.  You spend a lot of time at a sink, so make sure it's the depth you want.  I love stainless sinks.  They're easy to keep clean and look good for the long haul.

Cabinets - pull out drawers are so nice.  

Bottom line - get the most functionality for your budget.  It's a room that you spend a lot of time in and you need it to be functional and beautiful without going overboard on price.

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio   I will only mention a few things as my kitchen, remodeled four years ago, is not what you want.  Recessed LED lighting is what I chose, and a ceiling fan over the island, if you don't have air conditioning, this is a must, love it.  I chose a stainless steel long, deep sink and bought a rack that sits in it always to prevent scratching.  I also chose a faucet that would allow large pots under it, easily.

I chose all drawers, as I am short, and never used items stored on shelves above the first, so this has been wonderful.

I hope your plan works out well for you.

Honored Contributor

@CAMOGIRL wrote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with being on a budget and sticking to it!

If I was going to redo a kitchen and had a budget range I would -

Prep my existing cabinets, prime with primer tinted  to match the paint I would use and not the stark white of primer.

I would stick with white paint for the cabinets though, White cabinets are pretty timeless.

I would probably update the cabinet knobs/pulls to a brushed stainless since you are going with a stainless sink. That is what I did.

I would definitely pick a style sink you prefer. And, if in budget update the faucet if need be. 

Countertops. Go with your gut as they say. Stick with something simple. Giving a clean look. 

Whatever you decide - best to keep it simple and add your own accents of your liking.

you can always add holiness and color thru towels, oven mitts, and countertop objects.

@CAMOGIRL 

I'd be ecstatic to be able to just paint the cabinets. Problem is that all the drawers are plastic, and broken, all the slides for the drawers are broken and rigged, and they would never hold paint without scratching off anyway. It would be such a money saver, and I'd be happy, if it would work.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

First and foremost (before getting into specifics about style, cost and personal tastes), you sound like you may be contemplating selling the property in the not-too-distant future.  I'm not sure it would be in your best interest to pour money into the property even if you are attempting to be frugal in your choices.  

The one thing that I believe is primary, before you start getting estimates and choosing cabinetry, is the fact that you seem to have foundational problems with  leaking in your family room.  That alone can be a costly expenditure and set a real ding in selling the property if not corrected.

@RoughDraft 

I expect we will be here at least another decade, probably much longer, so I should get the enjoyment out of it, should we do it. The foundation thing we had on another corner of the house, and my husband fixed it a decade ago, and he thinks he can take care of this corner in the same way. It won't cost a lot if he can, just some back breaking work, so hopefully that is how that will go! LOL

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped wrote:

FWIW, I love my full extension, soft close drawers. Yes, it definitely costs more but I will never go back to standard drawers. Life is too short...especially at the point where I am in life. Ha!  

@pupwhipped 

Good to know, as I believe these cabinets have that. It would be new and high class for me! LOL But then I'm the girl who still has no air conditioning in the house, and didn't have it in my car until 1998! LOL Pretty basic chick here!

Honored Contributor

@scatcat wrote:

We just finished a kitchen gut job. I can’t help you with Corian or Wolf, but I would like to add that you should build in an overage amount for the unforseeables. Not sure iif you and your husband and son are doing the labor, which would be a huge $ saver.

Personlly I like an under mount sink as no gunk gets stuck in the lip as you wipe your counter crumbs into the sink. 

Good luck. The kitchen is the heart of the home and I hope you love your new one 

@scatcat 

Great point about the unforseeables. I'm used to getting a quote for a job, and they complete the job for that. I'm guessing things go different with a big job like this, and I'm a bit uneasy about that. I get there could be hidden horrors (seen just enough HGTV to know that!), but when you are on a budget for something like this, it needs to come as close to the quote as possible, for sure.

I will definitely keep in mind what you said, when I look at the finished quotes.