Respected Contributor

Re: Kitchen Countertops...Price Differences?

Prices vary GREATLY within any category of materials dependent on the style/color.

I recently needed some material for a bathroom project, some the Corian colors were 3 1/2 times more expensive than other colors of Corian- making it twice the price of some marble and granite! So do your homework!

Honored Contributor

There really is a reason HGTV exists - it is to sell expensive ideas to gullible homeowners that make them feel they must have these trendy upgrades. Then in a few years the upgrade is passe and they are selling hard on something else. It is unfortunate that so many people fall for what is really no more than hype.

AND BTW - I have always worked in hospitals where there were granite countertops and almost every one of them has been either cracked or downright broken.They do not last forever as some of you seem to think.

Respected Contributor

On 1/22/2015 Sooner said:

DON'T let granite scare you. It is NOT hard to take care of and does not require a lot of maintenance. If you see a slab you love and can afford it, get it!

I agree with this. I have granite in kitchen and bathrooms. I'm not sure why it's considered hard to care for. Maybe people do things to their counters that I don't?
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.--Marcus Tullius Cicero
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/23/2015 Marienkaefer2 said:
On 1/22/2015 Sooner said:

DON'T let granite scare you. It is NOT hard to take care of and does not require a lot of maintenance. If you see a slab you love and can afford it, get it!

I agree with this. I have granite in kitchen and bathrooms. I'm not sure why it's considered hard to care for. Maybe people do things to their counters that I don't?

The only maintenance with granite is that it must be sealed. I have seen granite elsewhere with a deep stain that ruined it and it would be heart breaking in this price range. I take care of every countertop material that we have had over the years but not everybody does.

Honored Contributor

I had marble in my old house and granite in this house. I do nothing more than wipe them down with soapy water and rinse them. No stains, cracks, dents - nothing. Unless you're totally mis-using them, they should last forever.
Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 happy housewife said:

There really is a reason HGTV exists - it is to sell expensive ideas to gullible homeowners that make them feel they must have these trendy upgrades. Then in a few years the upgrade is passe and they are selling hard on something else. It is unfortunate that so many people fall for what is really no more than hype.

AND BTW - I have always worked in hospitals where there were granite countertops and almost every one of them has been either cracked or downright broken.They do not last forever as some of you seem to think.

You're really comparing a professional work setting with a home kitchen? I will guarantee you that no home kitchen gets the kind of use and abuse all day every day as a hospital setting.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

When I added a wonderful new kitchen to our old farmhouse, I went with Soapstone, and I love it! It's used on counters in science labs, so its indestructible! I got "dark green", which looks dark grey.) I wanted a "living" stone rather than a laminate, and did not want the contemporary look of granite.

All I do is wipe it down with food-grade mineral oil ( $1.65 a bottle in the laxative aisle at Walmart!) once every few months.

All these posts offer great insights.....just take your time and see what you like. I also have a long marble counter, and a wood island top made from old barn beams. I love each one of these in my kitchen..

Trusted Contributor

Granite is very durable! I checked and went with a local fabricator. You might want to check your local newspaper, or you can google in your area. We got a very good deal... but some quotes were double the price. So make sure you get at least 3 or more quotes for any material you choose.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 jaxs mom said:
On 1/23/2015 happy housewife said:

You're really comparing a professional work setting with a home kitchen? I will guarantee you that no home kitchen gets the kind of use and abuse all day every day as a hospital setting.

No one is cooking - placing hot dishes etc in a hospital unit kitchen. Just getting out juice and water pitchers.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine has soapstone. I've never seen it in person before. Hers Is black. She put it in the bathrooms too. She oils it every few months