Valued Contributor

OT/ Brown Spots on Ceiling... YIKES...

I'm posting for advice and suggestions. I noticed three brown spots on my ceiling in my guest room. Now, I saw one about 2 years ago and it was the single spot. Then about one month ago, I had service men go up in my attic to inspect the installation. I need to add additional installation but I was not just getting estimates.

Well to my surprise, last week we had a good rain and I have now 3 small brown water spots on my ceiling. This means....roof problems...YIKeS....

My money is limited, and I won't be able to tackle this until the spring as it is still winter in MD. But I'd love to hear your tips, warning, and suggestions as to what to expect when the roof repair service men come. I can not afford to purchase a new roof. I want to hear about patch work, what to avoid, how to not be taken advantage of.

thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: OT/ Brown Spots on Ceiling... YIKES...

brown spots could also indicate termite damage

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Regular Contributor

This may be an insurance claim.
Respected Contributor

We developed spots on some of our ceilings a few years back. At the time we concluded they were caused by ice dams. It is too hard for me to explain, best to google it if interested. We haven't seen anything since, but did replace our shingles a few years later just due to age. There was no damage to our roof's structure and our roofer did not find any area of leakage.

I'm sorry I can't assist with suggestions on what to expect from roofers, except to talk with friends and family on who they might have used and they feel are fair and honest.

Valued Contributor

thanks everyone for all their comments.

This might should stupid but how could this be an insurance claim??

Respected Contributor

Sometimes ice dam leakage is covered by home owners. We didn't pursue with our insurance company. When we repainted our ceilings we just used a stain sealing product which was either Kilz or Zinnsers and then painted ceiling. We still have the brown spots in one of our closets that we didn't feel like repainting.

Respected Contributor

Roofers do repairs at all times of the year. About a year ago I had a leak due to having 2"" of snow on the roof. They removed the snow and made repairs.

I would not wait on making repairs a it will only get worse. Ask neighbors and friends for recommendations or look in your local papers for roof repair ads. Get a few estimates (3 are recommended) and get it done.

I'd be suspicious of anyone asking for payment in advance. I'd find someone else. Go with your instincts.

Respected Contributor

QVC1234, we got some patchwork done over the summer on our roof. Cost was about $800. They put up new wood then new roof shingles, tar, etc. and they warranty the area only. It matched pretty good so you can't tell we had a leak. I didn't go through my insurance as I have a $1,000 deductible. I am not sure if you live alone but if you can get someone up in your attic above the stain to see where the water is coming from, it may turn out to be something minor. Sometimes the water can travel from another area. Don't get a roofer to check for you to see where the water is coming from as I haven't found an honest one yet. They will say the job is bigger than it is to get more $$$ from you. I got 3 estimates from roof repair people after I knew where the leak was coming from and the highest estimate was $2,000.

Trusted Contributor

I recently had my roof patched this summer. It was on the very edge in the garage and I tried to "ignore" it until I got the ladder out and inspected it.

The roof is pitched so that the rain sort of wore a path down the shingles and the wood wore away. The guy pulled off the shingles, installed new plywood and a water barrier and I am good to go.

He said had I called earlier, my cost would have been in half. Luckily, it worked out but would not recommend waiting as long as I did. You need to get it fixed ASAP!!!

Your leak is in one of your interior rooms!

Honored Contributor

This type of small leak can be temporarily resolved with a coating of tar, or a roofing sealant that can be brushed on with a sturdy brush. The key is in getting it done on a day when the sealant will dry thoroughly, which means the temperature has to be well above freezing, and stay that way for several hours. Sometimes a shingle is ripped or blown loose in a storm, so it is very visible as the place that is leaking. You need to find someone you can trust to go into the attic, and get on your roof to find the problem area, then patch that area with the sealant. Try to stop the leaking ASAP. When you get ready to fix the brown spots on the ceiling inside, (give the plenty of time to dry), cover them well with 1-2 coats of clear polyurethane and let dry thoroughly before covering with white paint. The brown color will bleed through if you do not use the polyurethane. Best wishes to you for an easy fix for this situation, until you can have your roof inspected for possible replacement needs. When my husband was able to do handy man repairs for people, he would charge $50 - $100 for the type of easy repair I have described. The fee went up if he had to tear off the damaged shingles and replace them.