Trusted Contributor

Re: Kitchen Countertops...Price Differences?

On 1/23/2015 nyc1 said:
On 1/23/2015 happy housewife said:
On 1/23/2015 Danielle46 said: I would never spend the money on laminate unless your cabinets are old and in poor condition. I have bought and sold several homes and buyers want quartz, granite or marble. I don't know anyone who doesn't have natural stone these days. It also depends on if your planning on selling at some point in the near future. BTW, it's not a big deal to maintain granite and it looks stunning. You can look at Lowes or Home Depot but their selections are limited in comparison to a stone Quarry where the choices are endless. Take your time and bring samples home as it will look different in your house.

We sold our last home in 9 days - it had wall to wall carpet, laminate counters and vinyl floors and an unfinished basement. Oh yeah - and white kitchen appliances. Apparently, there are buyers out there looking for more important things like a new roof and siding and a newer heating/AC system.And modern , energy efficient windows. In our plan here in Florida they sold out 140 new build homes in 2 years - hardly anyone went for the SS and granite. To be honest - most went for the corian.

HH.... that house would stay on the market for a very long time here. I guess it depends on the area of the country, but people here want the good roof and energey efficient things as well, but also something that is updated and don't have to rip out when they move in.
I agree with Danielle, at least for the market I'm in (northern Chicago suburbs).

NYC1 I totally agree. I live in NY a home with the finishes HH mentioned wound never sell in our market.
Esteemed Contributor

As I said in my previous post, it depends on the price range of your neighborhood. A home with laminate countertops and vinyl flooring would NEVER sell where I live. The Realtor would tell you to rip it out and upgrade.

Honored Contributor

A home with stained carpeting, laminate, vinyl flooring and an unfinished basement would sell at the bottom price range for comparable homes in my area.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 brii said:

A home with stained carpeting, laminate, vinyl flooring and an unfinished basement would sell at the bottom price range for comparable homes in my area.

STAINED CARPET - it was not stained.And it did not sell for a low price either. It was in a very nice , middle class neighborhood. People would give the realtor feedback on the lack of high end finishes and he would tell them if this house had all that you want the price would be 50 - 60 thousand more and be out of your range. Every realtor who looked at our house told us we would have no difficulty selling it.

Not all buyers feel they have to have everything that is being shown on HGTV. Some people actually have reasonable common sense.

Honored Contributor

Unless the carpeting was brand new, it had to be stained and worn. Nobody has perfect carpets. Didn't you have blue carpeting? Your price had to reflect that. Doesn't matter if it sold in 9 days or 90 days. It's the price that's relevant, not how long it stayed on the market.

Common sense has nothing to do with it.

Esteemed Contributor

Buyers look for any reason to negotiate the price down. We wanted top dollar for every home we sold (7 of them), each one was always in perfect shape.

Honored Contributor

On 1/23/2015 brii said:

Unless the carpeting was brand new, it had to be stained and worn. Nobody has perfect carpets. Didn't you have blue carpeting? Your price had to reflect that. Doesn't matter if it sold in 9 days or 90 days. It's the price that's relevant, not how long it stayed on the market.

Common sense has nothing to do with it.

Actually, the couple who were buying our house wanted PURPLE carpet so they planned to rip the carpet we had out anyway. They did not expect to ever find a house with purple carpet. The house they were selling stayed on the market for a while until they decided they should remove the purple carpet and put in something neutral.

Honored Contributor

I bought a home with an old 80s kitchen, Putt Putt green wall to wall carpeting and Lily Pulitzer wallpaper. It was all expensive finishes - the owner had used an upscale designed and everything was expensive and top quality (including the 7 California closets!)

I made my offer based on the work I had to do. It was $50,000 below their asking price...$100,000 below the price they set when they first marketed the home.

It took 9 months, but they finally accepted my offer...the ONLY legitimate offer they received. Most people were turned off by all the work involved...but I lived literally across the street and didn't move in until I had almost everything the way I wanted it.

Anything will sell if it's priced correctly.

Honored Contributor

I think it is rare for people to decorate based on what will sell the house. I think most of us decorate to please ourselves while we are living in the house. We plan to live in our current home until they drag us away to the nursing home so who knows when that will be. I decorated it to please us.

Honored Contributor

I would use the BEST product you can afford.

I got quartz counters that look like white marble. They will last forever and go with everything.