Esteemed Contributor

Question:  Do you have, or do you like, a kick plate on the front door?  I've found a company that puts the house number on the plate, and I like the idea.  Plus, it's magnetic, so it would stick to my steel door.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

Sounds interesting. Do you think it would scratch up the door though? 

Esteemed Contributor

Well, that's the thing, @godi .  But if it did?  The door probably needs to be re-painted occasionally anyway.  I don't have numbers on the house, just the mailbox, so this could be handy.

This same company makes seasonal plates too - so cute!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia 

Putting the house number on the plate is fine; however, in case if an emergency, the # should be readily noted at the entrance to the property....even at night.

Some areas this is required by the zoning office.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

Do you  have a storm door? If so is it full glass so the number wouldn't be hidden? 

Esteemed Contributor

I like kick plate - a touch of class

But I'd forget the house number on it.........## should be higher up...next to front door. (eye level)

Honored Contributor

No.   They belong on doors that are actually KICKED open......like restaurant kitchen doors

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

You used to see kick plates a lot.  I don't see them much anymore, or at least I don't notice them.  I definitely wouldn't put a house number on them.  A house number needs to be at eye level, or one of the ones that's painted on the curb for emergency crew.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I don't see the kick plates as much any more.  When we repainted out door we took ours off.  No need and I like the door a lot better without it.  If you like it, go with it.  It really doesn't serve much of a function. 

Esteemed Contributor

@shaggygirl , no, no storm.  So yes, you would see it.

The thing about the way the house is sited, the lot sways down and back and from the street, and you are actually higher than the house from there (oldie but goodie subdivision, homes nestled into the contour of the land without tons of grading and no drainage besides ditches).  So I think the numbers would be visible to people looking, even though it sounds a bit out of the ordinary.

Thanks everybody for answering.  I took a walk "up" to the street and I am putting the idea on hold.  The garden's full of bloom and texture and the plate I think would add clutter.

Fun idea though!

I'm going to shop a sign manufacturer that makes the reflective panels with numbers (like street signs) and I'll put them on the garage I think.  You can get green, brown, red, or blue, just like the highway signs and they are highly reflective.

Cogito ergo sum