Honored Contributor

Keyless cars can be dangerous. There was a story in the news about a couple who accidentally left their car running in the garage. The exhaust infiltrated their house and one person died, the other was hospitalized. I think the design needs to be tweaked so it has an auto-safety shut-off.

Honored Contributor

You want to be careful with the keyless entry door locks on homes. Many keyless entry door locks on homes can be opened by a thief with a powerful magnet. There are YouTube videos showing how it's done. The locks use a solenoid inside the lock to lock and unlock the door and that solenoid can be triggered by a magnet applied to the outside of the lock. Most hardware store type keyed locks are no safer however as they can be easily opened by a thief using a "bump key." 

YouTube has become something of a free school for thieves on how to break into homes, and defeat security measures. Many of the videos are posted by locksmiths to "inform homeowners," but in reality they're pretty much teaching thieves how to break into nearly any home or defeat common combination locks. I guess they're trying to sell their more expensive, less vulnerable locksets, but I'm not sure that teaching people how to break into the less expensive, more vulnerable locksets is the ideal approach. Anyone looking to engage in a life of crime, YouTube is your new university on how to do so. Once they know what to do, the videos then typiically inform the viewer that they can find the bump keys, magnets, and whatnots needed on E-Bay.

A properly equipped thief can break into most homes in a matter of seconds with no signs left behind that they broke in. They don't have to break windows, knock down doors, or expose themselves to unnecessary risks. They simply walk up, insert a bump key and give it a tap or two, or apply a magnet to the right spot and the door opens up for them and they're inside. It used to be you had to go to prison for a cirme to pick up that level of knowledge, but now it's right there on the Internet for anyone and everyone to see. It's a strange world we're living in these days.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I have one for the inside of my garage (which attaches to my home).  I really l like it, but I especially appreciated it when my kids and I got locked outside of our house over the summer by accident.  I didn't worry at all ---  Just typed in the code and we were IN!

Con -- I worry that someone will guess the code or something. 

Honored Contributor

My husband keeps the car fob on his key ring.  I keep mine separate.

One day he went out, started the car, realized he forgot something and had to use the house key to get back in.  He laid the key ring on the table, got what he forgot and out he went.

I happened to walk past the table, saw the keys and oh dear!

Luckily he had his cell because sometimes he will leave that home.  I guess he realized my numerous calls and texts meant it was important for him to pull over and answer me, letting him know not to turn the car off.

We only have 1 car, so he would have had a long walk home!

I have used an Ultraloq UL3 smart lock for front door in my house for 2 years and it works well. I think a smart lock is convenient as I don't have to worry about losing keys or being locked out of my house. And you can allow someone in when you are not home by giving a temporary code.