Valued Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@LilLadyNJ....did you have to buy a whole new door knob set or was the keyless lock separate from the door knob?  I am not sure which is better... we are not in need of using this with a smart phone.

I purchased a whole new door knob set from Home Depot. They have various styles to choose from and installation was a breeze. I did not purchase one that worked with a smart phone. This one is battery operated. The first set I purchased had a five-digit combination code, and the most recent set I bought has a seven-digit combination. 

Respected Contributor

I have a keyless car.  I love it.  I can't lock my keys in it.  You have to have your key fob or your keys to open a car anyway, but now I just have a fob.  I get in and push the button to start.  I push the button to turn it off.  No big deal, except I can't lock it with the keys in it.  I have been guilty of locking my keys in my car before and even in the truck by accident (only once but you never forget that). With keyless cars, you can't do this.  I also don't have to fish in my purse to find the key, just walk up and touch the car.  I find it very convenient. 

Respected Contributor

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@Hoovermom...there are several styles....did you buy new door handles with the keyless entry attached or the door knobs with the pad on the front of the knob?  Can I ask what brand you purchased?  Thanks

@Mom2Dogs:  They are actually part of our "smart home" system with ADT Security.  They are the punch pad with the door handle.  We are very please with how it operates.

Super Contributor

I like my keyless car door entry but I do have to admit that I did leave it running once when I was in a restaurant for 2 hours!! I still cannot believe I did that. It was locked and I had the key with me so no one could steal it, but thank goodness it did not overheat or run out of gas. I was sitting in it waiting for a friend on a very cold day so had it running. When she got there I just got out and forgot that it was running. I locked it with the button on the door and never gave it a thought the whole time in the restaurant. We were so busy greeting each other that my friend and I never realized my car was still running on the way in. I saw it right away when we came out and couldn't believe it. I have been really careful about that since then.  I am actually glad to read on here that I am not the only person who has done this.

Has anyone used the keyless entry in a hotel? It is done with your phone, I believe. I think I have that option on a trip soon and just wondering how it works.

Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  We had to replace the entire lockset.

Respected Contributor

Re: Keyless Door Entry

[ Edited ]

I really like the keyless entry on my car and our front door.

I've had the keyless car entry for nine years. Over the years, I've gotten into the habit of keeping my car keys in my pocket so I don't have to worry about making sure the key is always with me.

Esteemed Contributor

@151949 wrote:

Many years ago we replaced the front door lock to our home with a push button lock because DH wouldn't carry a key and whenever the electric would be off he was locked out, because he always used the garage door opener. 

That keyless lock worked perfectly for him - he was never locked out again. When it needs batteries it beeps softly  to tell you to replace batteries.

When we sold the house the buyers didn't want to be bothered with it so we brought it to our new house and put the original lock back on at the old house.

@151949

I got same on my kitchen door - only because I'm always misplacing my keys!Woman Frustrated

Valued Contributor

I had one in the house just sold and absolutely loved it. You appreciate when your arms are full. I will have one in my new location.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Keyless Door Entry

[ Edited ]

What I love about my keyless car is being able to open the door without digging for the keys. Also if the keys are inside the car, it won’t lock. 

What I hate is replacing the battery. 

I also left it running a lot in the beginning 

Honored Contributor

I really like the keyless entry on my car.  I've had it for 5 years and it's so convenient.  When I get out of the car I simply touch an area near the door handle and it locks the car.  I've never tried to do it from inside the car.  When I'm away from the car and return I simply touch the door handle and it unlocks the car.  No need to dig for the keys.  I also like the feature near the steering wheel letting me know the battery is low and should be replaced. 

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~