Super Contributor

Re: Keurig Bad Press......................

On 11/23/2014 KentuckyWoman said:

We have the older model. No tank or reservoir. We brew 6, 8 or 10 ounces at a time. Once every couple of weeks I run white distilled vinegar through the unit a couple of times and then follow with two or three cycles of clear water. We never leave water in the reservoir. No problems.

KentuckyWoman.....do you use straight vinegar?

Honored Contributor

Haven't read the press. I go by my personal experience with my mini-Keurigs. I have two and both work the way they are supposed to. I'd say one of them is 6 years old, the other 5.

I wish my central A/C which cost thousands of dollars worked as well. It's three years old and has already cost more in upkeep and repairs than both of those Keurigs. In fact, I could replace both of my Keurigs twice each and still be well ahead of the repair costs of my A/C. For me, it's all relative and my Keurigs are good relatives!

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is over 5 years old. I have had no problems. My issue with Keurig is the coded cups so that if I were to ever buy a new one I could not use the many ""offbrand"" or sale cups out there.

Trusted Contributor

Mold is an issue with almost all coffee makers, and regular descaling is necessary to prevent (the 2.0 will actually remind you when it is tome to descale).

Super Contributor

On 11/23/2014 metrogal said:

Hi Ladies......when you say ""vinegar solution"" .... are you mixing vinegar with water.... or do you use straight vinegar?

Straight vinegar.

Honored Contributor

I only have the mini Keurig. One of the things influencing my decision to buy was that it does not store water. After making my cup of coffee each morning, I leave the reservoir and the K-cup area open to air out. I periodically run some vinegar through it ask.

Super Contributor

Thank you Okiebug and Ladies Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I've never been remotely interested in these 'cup at a time' coffeemakers. Each to their own and yes, I get it that there are SO many flavors available without having to ensure a whole pot, bag, or can of the same flavor gets used, but I'll stick with my coffeemaker. I really don't want or need another appliance taking up counter space and I drink several cups in the mornings and really don't want to make each cup separately... I'm just not wowed by the concept and I have understood that they don't always prove to be very reliable.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We have had our Keurig for almost 5 yrs now, you are suppose to clean it out periodically with vinegar and wash the plastic water container, mold will grow anywhere where water stands!!!

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/24/2014 Krimpette said:

I only have the mini Keurig. One of the things influencing my decision to buy was that it does not store water. After making my cup of coffee each morning, I leave the reservoir and the K-cup area open to air out. I periodically run some vinegar through it ask.

Same here! I wanted the most basic of models- less things to break or cause problems! I prefer the water being fresh as well. How often do you run vinegar through the unit?