Honored Contributor

Re: Keurig Bad Press......................

I haven't read the bad press and likely wouldn't act on it based on my experience. I've had my keurig for six years. I clean the machine and wash the water reserve often. I've been using the my kcup for a while.
Respected Contributor

I believe you should run a vinegar solution through the machine every so often to avoid calcium deposits which could Foster mold. I'm sure those soda taps at the convenience stores and restaurants aren't always the cleanest either and no one has gotten sick.
Respected Contributor

Read it - disclaimer at the bottom, it's just one person's opinion, not something published by the FDA or authority on it. Keeping my Keurig!

Respected Contributor

I believe you should run a vinegar solution through the machine every so often to avoid calcium deposits which could Foster mold. I'm sure those soda taps at the convenience stores and restaurants aren't always the cleanest either and no one has gotten sick.
Esteemed Contributor

I have been using my Keurig for years and never had that problem....

Super Contributor

Would you ladies share exactly what your routine maintenance is? TYIA

Super Contributor

Does anyone find it interesting that although Keurigs have been around for many years, it's only been since they released the 2.0 that they have become "dangerous"? Never read anything about mold, poison plastic, etc before the 2.0 made the off-brand k-cup obsolete for that one model. These companies now have to buy a license from Keurig for the top of the k-cup, so suddenly Keurigs are a health hazard?

Super Contributor

On 11/22/2014 metrogal said:

My Keurig is close to 3 years old. When I think about it, about every 2-3 months, I run a reservoir of full strength white vinegar through it, then run about 3 reservoirs of clean water to get out the vinegar smell. I do this to get rid of any mineral build up. That's it.

If you use it daily, that runs fresh water into the interior tank so it's not sitting there for days to give time for mold to grow. If there was mold, you would be tasting it in your coffee.

New Contributor

On 11/22/2014 okiebug said:
On 11/22/2014 metrogal said:

My Keurig is close to 3 years old. When I think about it, about every 2-3 months, I run a reservoir of full strength white vinegar through it, then run about 3 reservoirs of clean water to get out the vinegar smell. I do this to get rid of any mineral build up. That's it.

If you use it daily, that runs fresh water into the interior tank so it's not sitting there for days to give time for mold to grow. If there was mold, you would be tasting it in your coffee.

Thank you for this. I have the Keurig Mini which I use everyday for my morning coffee and when I started reading this thread I freaked out hearing the word "mold" since I don't do any maintence besides normal cleaning of the water reservoir etc. But it sounds like I'm safe since I use it everyday.

Super Contributor

I descale my Keurig every 4 months using vinegar and it is over 6 years old and going strong!

With that said, I do have to be careful with my Waterpik and ensure the handle is drained properly or I get mold in there. Just for perspective, the handle is the part that goes in my mouth!

When we purchase any product, common sense and good care go a long way.