Honored Contributor

Keeping Up with Home Trends?

I’ve noticed some posters replying to threads with comments that certain rooms look “dated”. (See my thread  “Warm Toned Rooms”)  

So, do you constantly change your home decor to keep up with new trends? 

I’ve selected different paint colors & switched out a few accessories & minor items because I wanted a change, but it wasn’t done because of trends. I've never replaced large furniture, kitchen cabinets, appliances, or remodeled an entire room just because it wasn't in style anymore. 

Obviously, we all have different home decorating styles & preferences, and some of those may be current trends & other not. I’m just trying to understand how & what people do to their homes to keep them “updated” all the time. 

I would not want to constantly redo my home to keep up with trends. That would be too time consuming and expensive for me. I guess because I keep my home in fairly the same style, furnishings, & colors for years, my home would be considered “dated” by some. As long as it suits me I don’t plan on changing it just because a new home trend comes along. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Keeping Up with Home Trends?

@wilma wrote:

I’ve noticed some posters replying to threads with comments that certain rooms look “dated”. (See my thread  “Warm Toned Rooms”)  

So, do you constantly change your home decor to keep up with new trends? 

I’ve selected different paint colors & switched out a few accessories & minor items because I wanted a change, but it wasn’t done because of trends. I've never replaced large furniture, kitchen cabinets, appliances, or remodeled an entire room just because it wasn't in style anymore. 

Obviously, we all have different home decorating styles & preferences, and some of those may be current trends & other not. I’m just trying to understand how & what people do to their homes to keep them “updated” all the time. 

I would not want to constantly redo my home to keep up with trends. That would be too time consuming and expensive for me. I guess because I keep my home in fairly the same style, furnishings, & colors for years, my home would be considered “dated” by some. As long as it suits me I don’t plan on changing it just because a new home trend comes along. 

You and me both !

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I have retro hippie, industrial, and a touch of Jessica Fletcher

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

sounds like me.  I have wood, glass, metal.

I buy what I like, change out if I find something I like better.

My SIL still had those (80's?) geese last time I saw her house. So I do think sometimes some trends HAVE to be updated.

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Desertdi 

Sounds very eclectic & interesting. Would you like to share a photo of a room or area of your home?

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

sounds like me.  I have wood, glass, metal.

I buy what I like, change out if I find something I like better.

My SIL still had those (80's?) geese last time I saw her house. So I do think sometimes some trends HAVE to be updated.

@Mary Bailey , Unless she really loves geese. My mom did.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

This is timely, @wilma --  I've been thinking a lot about different decorating styles, and have been thinking of the best way to post about those...

But to your question--  I don't change my decor to suit trends.  I have a fairly fixed decorating style, or "mix" of two styles.  I'm pretty much always going to keep my antiques, for example.  But when choosing new furniture or decor, I look for things that are timeless, just so that my rooms don't feel like they were decorated in say, 1993, or 2017, for that matter!

Here's an example.  When "modern farmhouse" was at its height of popularity, the "sliding barn door" trend hit, and people installed them.  That seemed to me to be a more transitory trend, one that would not last for decades.  (Of course, I could be wrong-- just giving my opinion as a long time house junkie!). 

On the other hand, beautifully crafted pocket doors have stood the test of time, and having them in a house just looks "classic",  not "dated" to any particular era's fad.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree with you 100%.   When we purchased our house we remodeled our kitchen because it needed to be done.  I don't believe the previous owners had done anything with the house in years.  We've done many things over the years to make the house better.  My husband changed out all the wiring and plumbing.  He painted both the inside of the house and the outside.  Most of our changes except for the kitchen and bathroom were done to make the house more structurally sound.  

I am not one who worries that my house looks dated.   We aren't a couple who entertains.  I am most definitely not a person who keeps up with the trends.  Trying to always be on trend is the quickest way to have very little in the bank at the time you'll need it the most.  

I take very good care of my furniture so it still looks good even though I purchased it many years ago.   

@wilma  I think our homes probably look very similar.  When you posted the "Warm Toned Rooms" I really liked that look.  I did notice that a few thought the room looked dated but I didn't get that impression at all.  I thought it was lovely and aside from the floral arrangement I could very easily see me living in that space.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I don't try to keep up with the trends. We have been doing more lately because our house is 30 yrs. old and some things needed it.  Except for our new couch and chair our furniture is pretty much the same.  If you like it.....that's what counts.  Besides you just change something and next year it's "outta style".  How many people can keep up with that?!  What one person calls "dated" another person might call it cozy or comfortable. Again, If you like it....that's all that counts!

Honored Contributor

I have mostly classic pieces that don't go really out of date.  My house has always been ecclectic, not a specific period look.  I have older pieces (nothing really ornate--just queen ann chairs, Chippendale chairs and a rice bed) mixed with more modern clean lined sofas and chairs.

I think mostly dated is when you have a period style over the house:  Spanish for example; Victorian; Farmhouse; etc.

And I think the real "dated" look comes in flooring, appliances, tiles and treatment in bathrooms, and paint schemes. And in windows and woodwork and trim.

Houses used to be darker than the current light and bright trim.