Esteemed Contributor

Re: Is there really any style of home decor that is ""out""?

On 6/4/2014 queendiva said:

Shiny brass fixtures

floral upholstery- OK on accessories

heavy and/ or ornate drapes

wall to wall carpet in living areas (not bedrooms, family rooms)

anything dark green in kitchens and baths

faux wood paneled walls

Colors can never be in or out in homes because it's about what floats the boat of the person who lives there. Just like in fashion, the media editors, interior designers and home goods manufacturers come up with these things to create buzz for new colors seasonally.

Speaking for myself I can't remember a living space I control which was sans something dark green in the kitchen and bathroom.

Honored Contributor

I think the ducks and geese all over the blue and yellow country house décor of the 80s is over. I never liked that look, but many of my friends' houses were decorated like that.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

On 6/6/2014 Ford1224 said:

I think the ducks and geese all over the blue and yellow country house décor of the 80s is over. I never liked that look, but many of my friends' houses were decorated like that.

lol There are still a lot of houses out there with a slew of farm animals on their walls! Most of my neighbors have pigs on the wallpaper, on the fridge, cows on the canisters and ducks in the bathroom. YIKES!

Super Contributor

On 6/5/2014 Happy Elizabeth said:

Brady Bunch avacado green kitchens.

LOL! The good old days. My friend's mother had the avocado green kitchen, my mother had the harvest gold kitchen and another friend's mother had the colonial brown kitchen. I love watching the Brady Bunch, reminds me so much of growing up. My parents even had paneling in the downstairs hall and den, like the Brady Bunch den and the phonograph in the den and the dial phone that sat on the counter.

Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 champagnepoodle said:
On 6/6/2014 Ford1224 said:

lol There are still a lot of houses out there with a slew of farm animals on their walls! Most of my neighbors have pigs on the wallpaper, on the fridge, cows on the canisters and ducks in the bathroom. YIKES!

Yes, they all looked like doll houses to me. I was more contemporary/eclectic in my "decorating." My homes always looked nice, but there was never a "theme." Now I just have what is left over from my last home ten years ago. I gave all the real furniture to my girls and since this apartment is so tiny, I am using the rattan furniture I had on my sun porch (high quality) in my living room, and Pier One rattan dresser, table desk, and two end tables with a full size mattress on rollers in my bedroom. My apartment is cute, but the bedroom is a mess because I literally "live" in here. It's clean, but there is way too much "stuff" all around. Can't be helped, I have no other place to put it. I really don't care that much anymore.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Esteemed Contributor

Live with what you love, what brings you joy in your home. I want my home to be warm, comfortable and inviting. A place you feel relaxed and want to stay.

You'll make yourself nuts chasing every trend imaginable. Not to mention making yourself broke.

Honored Contributor

I have been in so many homes, new homes, old homes, historic homes, and each has its own distict taste. The only decor I don't care for is the junky look, with a Sanford and Son flair! I don't like the look where pictures and photos are hung uneven and helter skelter all over the walls LOL! Like they just needed to hand them somewhere. Along with the mauve and country blue country look, complete with wooden dolls , carousal horses. Probably because in the 80's and 90's I had a shopwith all that stuff, and handmade crafts. I have seen my fill of peach and celadon, blue and mauve, wine and forrest green. I sold it all. That said, people have a right to decorate their homes for their pleasure, not mine. So if they love mauve and blue...have at it.

I still love gold, burgundy and green myself. Sometime you can update your old colors, like avacado. Add bright blue, chocolate or another value of burnt orange, like tangerine ..it updates a color. I am a huge vintage fan, so I still love avacado, golds, and such. I love red, and white kitchens. I have seen million dollar homes, very modern kitchens with huge roosters in them. It is the way it is done. JMHO I may not choose some decors for my home, but I like to look at them in others homes

Super Contributor

I don't think that there's any style of decorating that's out. What is out is the old dated furniture and carpet. Everything that needs to be updated. But if you have furniture and carpet that is 30 or more years old and it shows it's time to update it or time to get rid of it. I sit on furniture that sinks to the floor making it difficult to get up, at some of my garden club friends homes. These are very wealthy women. Some up dating is much needed. It could be simple fixes like area rugs, new curtains, paint on the wall, slip overs but get rid of the broken furniture.
Super Contributor

What a bunch of critics.

Honored Contributor

On 6/6/2014 Snowpuppy said:

Live with what you love, what brings you joy in your home. I want my home to be warm, comfortable and inviting. A place you feel relaxed and want to stay.

You'll make yourself nuts chasing every trend imaginable. Not to mention making yourself broke.

Very well said.