Super Contributor

Re: Is there really any style of home decor that is ""out""?

I never thought about "in/out of style" in relation to home decor. I've always done what I like, in the colors and furniture style I like.

I have the same color scheme and style in my small NYC apartment today that I had in my suburban CA ranch in the 1970s.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Deanie said:
On 6/4/2014 KathyPet said: Wallpaper in your kitchen with roosters or fruit all over it is still out and a good thing IMHO

I LOVE roosters. They are all over my kitchen. My grandmother had them everywhere and I have her roosters. So Sad. {#emotions_dlg.blushing} to know I am out of date. Oh well, if I live long enough I may be back in style again.

Deanie, I'm right there with ya - my country french kitchen just calls for roosters and I'm going to keep it that way...at least for awhile!

My house is 12 years old and has no wallpaper in it, with yellow beige walls. We just had hard wood floors put in the living area, so I guess we're on target there. We also had our black frig and dishwasher replaced with stainless, but we might be behind the eight ball there... Oh well, I agree with those who said 'to each his own' and decorate the way you want to!

Trusted Contributor

While I don't really want roosters on wallpaper (we don't have any wallpaper anymore, anyway, so it doesn't matter), I would love to have one, and just one, rooster sitting on my hutch. I don't know why, but that's what I want. I do think roosters may be coming back because I've seen them in several stores lately.

Super Contributor

I love what the Property Brothers do mixing the traditional and modern. Lots to look at (including them.)

Super Contributor

Well, all I can say is that I live in Southern California and my husband and I are currently thinking about relocating to another part (cheaper) of the country for our retirement. Looking at homes, in a very, very nice area with very nice homes, I am pretty surprised at how "old fashioned" some homes are still decorated. Frilly cafe curtains and blue flowered wallpaper, circa 1985, in the kitchen with the tiebacks, gold fixtures in the bathrooms, pink and mauve furniture. Have been pretty surprised. WHile I realize that most people cannot afford to redecorate every few years (God knows that I sure can't) , it really turns you off when you go in homes even though alot of it is cosmetic.

Super Contributor

One of my collections is Vietri pottery, some have fruits/vegetables painted on them. They are beautiful! I don't give a rip what other people think.{#emotions_dlg.lol}

I have matching setees in my livingroom . They are FANTASTIC. I've reupholstered them 3 times, and there is no way on God's green earth that I'd get rid of them. I've seen similar ones in Horchow catalog but mine are antique, right next to a contemporary light green corner chair! Oh the horror! Ha!

My livingroom has pecan wood desk, mahogany round huge coffee table, walnut library table, and a huge walnut refrigeratorated wine credenza that is 7 ft long! Awesome!!!! (and its full of GOOD wines) Ha!

Trusted Contributor

I like wallpaper...I don't know about anyone else, but it is still popular here in the south. All my bathrooms are wallpapered as well as my kitchen and dining room areas. Tasteful...no big fruits and veggies or stripes. LOL

Super Contributor

In answer to the OP, no, not if it makes you happy. If you can't be yourself and be surrounded by what you like in your own home where can you? It's bad enough that some think they are the arbiters of fashion and feel the need to critique what others choose to wear. Inside those 4 walls I get to have whatever I and my family want.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Topaz Gem said:
On 6/4/2014 faeriemoon said:
On 6/4/2014 PKB said: 1980's Country! All that blue, oak wood and wallpaper!

Yes, that was pretty bad.

Now, something that I never liked and is hopefully on the way out, is the red wall. I imagine some people did it because they love it, others did it just because they thought they'd be very chic if they did it.

I don't find red to be a soothing color, and I like my house to be my sanctuary. Ergo, red is not for me.Smile

I feel the same way, but I take it one step further and hope that all the real dark wall colors are out, not just red. They make me feel closed in. I like more of a light, airy feel to a room and if color is desired, then I would use it in my furniture, throw pillows, rugs, etc.

ITA and I especially don't like the trend of using dark or really any shade of gray on walls. I guess it is supposed to be chic but it looks so depressing and kind of muddy looking. I couldn't imagine living with that for very long.

Honored Contributor

On 6/4/2014 Azcowgirl said: Red will never be out for me, I love it and live with LOTS of it.

I love red. It makes a room warm and cheery.