Valued Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

If you know me well enough to come to home, taking off your shoes is a given and nothing has to be said. My home and floors are spotless and I do not want the outside filth brought in. It has nothing to do with disrespecting my guests, but everything to do with not having a panic attack at the thought of someone just walking through spit in a parking lot and now tracking it through my home.

Respected Contributor

Re: Is it rude to ask visitors to take off shoes at the door if circumstances warrant it?

Get a nice, natural welcome mat for them to brush their feet off to rid of any potential residue from there. If you consider how much carpet they walk on from the parking lot to your door, their shoes have probably lost any glass/dirt that they picked up in the parking lot.

As for your building issues, residents need to sign a petition and break out your HOA policy to see if there are any rules regarding the upkeep of the general areas by management since you are in an upscale building. If they are in violation, then your HOA fees either need to be reduced or get what you are paying for. I would get what I was paying for if I were you. They can be taken to small claims court for violations.

Contributor

If you ever live in Hawaii no one ever enters a person's home with their shoes on!!! You are not rude to ask anyone to remove their shoes. You should have either slippers or booties for each person to put on. If you have a nice home most people if they are friends won't mind at all. We always offer to remove our shoes. Then it is up to the people to tell you if you should or not.

Contributor

Love the comment from the gal in Little Rock. We all know we may not live in Hawaii and still like the idea of removing your shoes. You don't have to live in Hawaii to follow a the custom of removing ones shoes before entering their home. I live in Fayetteville and use to live in Hawaii. Please respect other people's home and their wishes. No big deal.

Contributor

My last comment is also meant for JJ

Super Contributor

On 12/26/2014 RJL-DLL 75 said:

I don't think it is rude at all. I don't want shoes that have been in disgusting public parking lots or any other place where people sp*t or throw the gum, on the floor and carpet where my pets are. Its OUR home and if people don't like it, they don't have to visit.

If this is how you feel, then just do not have visitors. I would'nt want to visit anyone who feels that way. That is exceptionally rude.

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2015 slimjudi said:

Love the comment from the gal in Little Rock. We all know we may not live in Hawaii and still like the idea of removing your shoes. You don't have to live in Hawaii to follow a the custom of removing ones shoes before entering their home. I live in Fayetteville and use to live in Hawaii. Please respect other people's home and their wishes. No big deal.

Everyone seems to go barefoot in Hawaii. I have lived there as well and do not recall shoe removal.

Respected Contributor

I don't allow shoes in my home

Super Contributor

Hawaii is ultra clean so I do not know where this is coming from.

Super Contributor

On 4/25/2015 granny me said:

If you know me well enough to come to home, taking off your shoes is a given and nothing has to be said. My home and floors are spotless and I do not want the outside filth brought in. It has nothing to do with disrespecting my guests, but everything to do with not having a panic attack at the thought of someone just walking through spit in a parking lot and now tracking it through my home.

Wash your floors. Wear a mask when you go outside to prevent germs. Live in a bubble.