Honored Contributor

Most of my house is Benjamin Moore Manhattan Tan.  I love that color.  I have a reddish burgundy accent wall in the living room that extends into the kitchen that I hate.  Both of my bathrooms are painted different colors.  I would like to paint the entire house a taupe color.

When I bought this house in 1989 the builder had painted the walls gray with gray carpeting.  Since then I've put in all hardwood floors.  I changed the gray walls fairly quickly.  I don't like gray walls at all.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I grew up with walls painted white with white trim. Every house I've lived in as an adult is the same. In-laws and family, the same. Until the house I'm in now.

White walls to me are clean and fresh and work with any type and color of furnishings so I've always wondered why people use color, especially a different color in every room; same with different color wall to wall carpet in every room...just why? So imagine my surprise when I walked through the house I'm in now when it was for sale and thought "how beautiful the house looks with these color walls" even when the master was done in peach, the hall bath in peach, the master bath in yellow.....and so on and yet, it all flowed beautifully. I found after the sale that there are 14 shades of paint used throughout the house! The same white gloss trim, however, is used everywhere. I would NEVER have known so many shades were used because....you can't tell! Her decorator was genius. I could never have done color matching like this and it DOES make a big difference over white walls. 

Sometimes change is good : )

Esteemed Contributor

@Evie2004  With the "open concept" such a popular design over the years, it's almost been a must to paint the walls similar, if not the same, color. Our home was built in the 60's, so it isn't open concept, but when we moved in, we knocked walls out to become more so. My color pallet is not the same in each room; however, the theme (earth tones) is throughout the home. I'm 72 and still do home improvement and after the holidays intend to repaint our bedroom and hall bath, but will stick with warm earth tones.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

I do not like when rooms are all different colors. I prefer one neutral color throughout the house. Any kind of beige or gray. Although I could live with  bedrooms a different color.

Super Contributor

My current house of 30+ years is a pale blue, with a touch of gray, in main rooms and hallway. Darker blue carpet, again touch of gray. Kitchen has matching wallpapers on the two walls with cabinets, coordinating WP under chair rails, pale vinyl and counter. My BR is Cubs blue (not a fan, just for description), and the boys got to pick their own colors, one is sort of aqua, one the same gray we used in the bath, which I did in gray and tea rose. It's a very light, happy gray, I agree with previous posters, most grays are not for me. But I found this wallpaper.........  Gray and tea rose pussywillows on a white background.  And the trims are all a shade darker.

My new house, which was recently remodeled, is ALL taupe, which to me, in my mind, is a non-color. I put it in the contract that the remodeler repaint my room in lilac! All the trim is white. Neutral carpet. My son is pulling up the carpet and installing laminate flooring, which is why I'm not there yet. We will eventually replace the white trims with wood trim, more appropriate to the age of the house. (Unknown, but probably turn of the century.)

I would love to paint more walls, but my son might replace the painted panelling with drywall, after he does the same with his Victorian, and I might let him. At least on the main floor.  I was not familiar with painting panelling until I started looking at old homes. My goodness! Very popular, at least in this small town.

TLDR: I must have color!

Respected Contributor

I like a house to flow.  When you have open concept, there should be a common color used throughout the house.  Flooring should always be the same, IMO

Bedrooms can be different colors, but I like it best when they have the same tone.  

Honored Contributor

I love color in my home, but the living room, dining room, kitchen, and hallway have always been painted a neutral color like the Desert Tan it is now.   Oldest daughters bedroom is Periwinkle, trucker daughters bedroom is Lemon Yellow, and the master bedroom and bath is from the green palette, and is a very light silvery green.   I don’t think it looks green or silver, but it goes very well with my floral sage green comforter and drapes.   My TV room is my personal space and has 2 Spring Green walls and 2 Daffodil walls.   Our main bath is red.   We painted the garage walls a very light gray that looks white.  When my oldest daughter moves out, her room will be painted the same light gray as our garage.   

Respected Contributor

I want to paint my light tan living/dining rooms a warm tan/beige color. I see the color I like A LOT in photos, & when I watched TV. 

I need that tan/beige color to have just a splotch of golden in it for warmth. B Moore has so many colors to choose from, & I like that they now have zero VOC paint (that's the only type I'll use). Heart

Respected Contributor

i just looked at BM online, & saw a color named "Lenox Tan". It says it looks good with most wood colors (floors & furniture), & has a warm base. 

It looks good! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Another vote for one neutral color throughout. My entire house is Killian Beige from Sherwin Williams, the ceilings are desert white - which is just a very pale ecru- color to accent the moldings and woodwork which is all white.Our home is open concept and even the bedrooms are partially visible from the main rooms so I like the one constant color throughout. It also makes a small home feel larger.