Trusted Contributor

Re: Interior French Doors ~ Help

When we had our house built 10 years ago, I had two sets of French doors put in, and it was one of the best things we did in this house.  I had always loved the look (and also practicality of shutting off the rooms if desired), but I had never had any before.

I think they add so much to the look of the rooms.  I think our floor plan would be so much more ordinary without them.

They latch at the top of the door, no latches in the floor.

Get them, you will not be sorry.

Trusted Contributor

@jlkz  Thanks......definitely food for thought ~ appreciate it!

@blueroses47   Thank you for the encouragement : )  Have always wanted them so now's the time to really consider them!

Esteemed Contributor

Once we had French doors to the master bedroom, which worked well.  Mostly we kept the open.

But they also did French doors from the bedroom to the master bath.  That was a total mess.

Whatever they open to or open against is blocked.  The second sink and set of doors became an issue.

Contributor

I have french doors that lead to the master bathroom from the master bedroom. I also have french doors on my pantry. Both of them are secured from the top, not the bottom.

Trusted Contributor

@Irish1210  Just another option..

DH put in pocket doors from our mud room into the dining room..he built a false wall and the doors are between the false wall and real wall...we love them because we don't have to worry about the swing of opening up a French door...DW

0DBE7A44-2CC4-43B0-B20A-6215B43231AF.jpeg

Trusted Contributor

68D5AF24-FF29-44AF-B333-7F6D17F4B6CA.jpeg

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

You can have them either way.

We have two sets, the one between the living and dining room opens with both doors.  We did have a sliding latch put in across the center of them because our Labs would Bump the doors open and go in and nap on the living room furniture.

The other pair a between our bedroom and our BR sitting area.  On those we had separate sliding latches put on 

the top of each one. 

I love them as they add light.  Two things, they are not very good at noise reduction, it’s just us, so no big deal.  Also if you have dogs, there WILL  be nose prints!

Enjoy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

@dancingwoman   Wonderful to see the pictures.......the pocket doors are another option to think about ~ they look fantastic!

Thank you!!!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Drythe OHHHHHH, thanks for that point~~~~~there will be many doggy nose prints : )

Will have to buy stock in Windex : )

Honored Contributor

@dancingwoman 

Love your home!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras