Honored Contributor

Inexpensive Decor Tips

[ Edited ]

I live in a small rental apartment where everything is neutral, of course.

Since I have a very tight budget, I mainly use everyday items for decor -

* to add color (vibrant) & contrast

* to add texture, pattern, & whimsy.

These items are always in my view, so the whole effect is one that I can enjoy on a daily basis.

* Kitchen/bath towels & cloths         

* Quilt/comforter/blanket

* Reading backrest

* Throw blanket

* Shower curtain

* Bath mat

* Shower cap

* Bathroom tumbler

* Hand soap dispenser

* Dish drying mat

* Placemats

* Electric kettle/stove kettle

* Dish soap dispenser

* Fridge memo board 

* Refrigerator magnets

* Radio/cd boombox

* Books that I've read and want to

Feel free to share your own practical decor ideas and experiences. Cat Happy

Honored Contributor

I love your list, @feline groovy .   I too like finding things that are both useful and pleasing to look at around the house too.  I found a well-designed personal water carafe with tumbler, in heavy glass, that I also like to see sitting out.

Throw blankets, squishy toss pillows for the couch, cozy rugs, a handsome roomy tray to sit on the coffee table to corral my candles and other decor,  a carved box that hides my remotes, tall, good-looking wooden salt and pepper grinders on kitchen table are a few of mine...

Honored Contributor

Re: Inexpensive Decor Tips

[ Edited ]

I use a rusted (probably intentional) basket for holding extra rolls of toilet tissue in my bathroom. 

DH has one of those metal stands with rolls of paper

In the guest bathroom, I have a rabbit statuary that I have painted and antiqued which stands about 30 inches tall that holds 2-3 extra rolls of tissue paper.  

One DIL has a very pretty basket, like chicken wire on a fainting couch at the foot of her bed (she is a knitter) with various colors of pretty yarn in it and because it is a chicken-wire look, it all shows through in the beautiful pastel colors.  

I use one of those passementerie curtain tiebacks from the past (same color of blue as my bowels) to "corral" my towels in some kind of order:  bath to face towels in a stack in the guest bathroom.  I like that word, Oznell.

I have a wooden tray with metal handles to display my oils, vinegar, salt & pepper containers, a tall glass/metal container of spagetti, a short glass/metal lid for sugar, just the things I use everyday and/or most often.  Behind it stands a piece of art (still life by one of our children).  

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @Oznell.  

I love your items as well, and especially your "useful and pleasing" motto.

Your posts are always interesting and I like checking them out.  8)

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I make dried arrangements from drying flowers from my garden and certain weeds I pick up along the side of the road where I walk.  Hydrangeas, roses, and peonies, dry very well. 

My neighbor has tall ornamental grasses she gives me in the Fall when she cuts them back.  

I also look for anything interesting to add from local thrift stores.  One time, long curly wood branches and dried eucalyptus stems.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like plants around the house, even the kitchen.  One day I was taking a walk when I spotted a lot of philodendron in a trash can sitting near the curb; which makes anything located there free to anyone who wants it. It was still very fresh, so I grabbed some of it and headed home.  

Didn't have the right vases, so I went to the thrift shops, found some for 50 cents to a dollar.  Cut the long vines into shorter pieces.  Put them in the colorful vases filled with water, put two in the kitchen and one in every bathroom.  I trim them off when they grow too long.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I like to nosy around thrift stores and flea markets sometimes very surprised at what I find.  I found a like new Ralph Lauren throw pillow for $1.99 just like the one I have on one of my sofas that I paid plenty. Washed the cover and replaced the insert pillow for a few dollars.   Now, I have matching pillows on either side of the sofa.  

I'd say the bed is the focal point in bedrooms, so I pay attention to coverings.  

I love Ralph Lauren. Thanks to ebay, over time, I was able to find everything new in original packaging, no defects, that I wanted saving hundreds of dollars.  

There are secrets buying this way though.  Often  several sellers will offer the same thing.  Check all the prices.  One or two will be lower than others. 

After a time, most sellers will eventually begin to lower their prices.  Keep a close eye because one may decide to just get rid of something and lower the price a lot.  Make sure you are there to grab it.  This is how I purchased a lot of my Ralph Lauren and of course, it applies to anything, not just Ralph.

It requires patience and willing to take the risk to get the lowest prices. You still can get good prices if you want something right away.  

Respected Contributor

Photo framed with the same frames, and different shades of matting to add splashes of color.

Esteemed Contributor

I add color using throw pillows, curtains, swags, placemats and bedspreads.

Esteemed Contributor

I think you are smart to think things out before you start buying.  What is your favorite color?  I would stick with tones of that throughout your home, starting with high impact areas of that color.  Your bedspread, throw pillows, etc.  You may even think of painting a little piece of furniture in that color.  

You can keep your eyes open for inexpensive little accessories.  Plants are wonderful, and check out places like Etsy for many things.  You can find some pretty prints to frame for your walls, etc., there.  Good luck with outfitting your new home.  And remember that some people with big wallets have terrible taste.  Your good taste will show.  I do remember my DD’s first place out of college - it was darling.