Respected Contributor

It was very hot today, and husband needed to look for some things at Home Depot, so I had him drop me off at IKEA and I spent an hour walking throughout the entire store.

It is really interesting to visit the showrooms, where they try to model what a bedroom, or kitchen, or work place would look like if designed and decorated with IKEA products.

Everything is very clean and streamlined, a bit on the modern side and very functional (quite different from my home!).

That Scandinavian element of practicality is quite obvious, and very popular.  The prices are also extremely reasonable!

It is fun to spend some time checking out all the gadgets down in their marketplace.  IKEA also has a cafeteria-style restaurant and a snack bar.  It is  certainly worth going to this store to pass some time, and see the many great ideas of decor!

Honored Contributor

Agree with your every sentiment, @FancyPhillyshopper -- I'd like to have an Ikea near me!

When I lived in New Orleans, there was a similar Scandinavian-type furniture store, that had fun mock-ups, great for getting ideas.  And they also had an airy cafe, with wonderful bistro-type food.

Blogger Valentina, of  the online site "The House of Valentina" visits her Atlanta Ikea alot, and videos her shopping trips there.  It's not the same as being there, but you might enjoy checking her out.

Respected Contributor

I always find something there that I didn't know I needed.

Honored Contributor

Agree with you, BUT ... I'm not much of a shopper and don't enjoy walking the maze that winds through both levels of the showroom.  I'd rather enter and make a bee-line to whatever I'm looking for.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Agree with your every sentiment, @FancyPhillyshopper -- I'd like to have an Ikea near me!

When I lived in New Orleans, there was a similar Scandinavian-type furniture store, that had fun mock-ups, great for getting ideas.  And they also had an airy cafe, with wonderful bistro-type food.

Blogger Valentina, of  the online site "The House of Valentina" visits her Atlanta Ikea alot, and videos her shopping trips there.  It's not the same as being there, but you might enjoy checking her out.

@Oznell @just have to say love Valentina and Jack. Don't you want him to make you a cup of coffee and spend the afternoon? 

Esteemed Contributor

I lived in Mainz Germany in 1978.  Almost all the stores were closed on Sundays but Ikea was open. I spent several rainy Sundays wandering through the displays and then having their Swedish meatballs and a glass of wine in their cafeteria.  Last time I was in their Phoenix store (5 years ago) it was just the same; so glad that they haven't changed their formula.  Next visit try their meatballs ( very, very good).

Honored Contributor

I've never been in an Ikea  I always wanted to see what it's like.  Closest is 450 miles away.  I've bought some of their stuff on Amazon.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Ikea is a fun store for ideas....and if looking for functional inexpensive furniture, it might be the place.  I've always thought of it as an opportunity for a young couple just starting out with their first home/apartment to furnish their home.  

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Agree with you, BUT ... I'm not much of a shopper and don't enjoy walking the maze that winds through both levels of the showroom.  I'd rather enter and make a bee-line to whatever I'm looking for.

Agreed, @ValuSkr.

@FancyPhillyshopper, I have a the distinct feeling that your idea of fun & mine are not a match. Smiley Wink

I'm a pretty easy going person, but truly resent stores that through their design, force you to walk the entire %$#&! place.

Ikea is famous for it.

A parallel universe where EXIT signs do not mean what they're supposed to mean. 

The last time I went, I wanted to scream HELP! Smiley LOL

Muddling through...
Respected Contributor

Well, I actually bought my entertainment center and bedroom set from them. All customed designed. We couldn't find a wall unit in any of the good stores and while walking through there we noticed you can design your own. so we did. Went back there with measurements sat with them and they literally did it on the computer. Had it delivered, called the service to put it together and attach it to the wall. Everyone who comes to visit says where did you get it. I said Ikea. they said it doesn't look it. Did the same with the bedroom. Beautiful wardrobe and chest of drawersx2 and headboard. I like modern which works in Ikea. I saved a bundle and have it for 5 years.