Respected Contributor

Re: I toured a historic 1866 home yesterday šŸ˜

I live in GA, is this perhaps in the southwest corner of the state?  Didn't see that you posted location.  Could the bolt lock you're referring to, be hardware for a transom window?  Can't see it in the pic.  I love old homes, thanks for posting!

Trusted Contributor

Screenshot_20230106-120325.png

See that bay window? That's where the hardware was. Two pieces of hardware over each side at the corners of the top of the windows in that bay window.

I live more very south central of the state. I hesitate to say where this historic location is because I want to keep the thread focused on the house and not anything political.

Super Contributor

Perhaps in the pic you think was a dining room, maybe a dumb waiter was the area looking at the fireplace to the left.šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø  Many old houses had basement kitchens, although there appears to be a kitchen now on the same floor.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Midmod    How wonderful that you were able to tour such a lovely historic house. I would have loved to see what it looked like

in the 1860's.

I love old houses and antiques. My house is not as old as that one. It is from 1914. That long porch looks a lot like mine,  but mine is smaller. The colors are the same; white with the original wooden green shutters, gray cedar floor decking, white cedar shingles and haint blue tongue and groove ceiling.

Our  posts are square rather than round and instead of ballisters beneath the railing, we have tongue and groove panels. The porch wraps around two sides of the house.

Your question regarding the hardware above the windows made me think that could have been where either

screens or shutters were attached, since there was one above each corner of the window.

I may be wrong, but possibly the original wood

shutters were attached at the top, above each window and used

for protection from storms. I'm invisioning the type of shutters that I have seen in Bermuda and those attach at the top.

In the northeast, where I live, shutters are attached at the sides of the windows. Most people around here have replaced original shutters with (ugh) vinyl and they are not functional. I have had people suggest that I replace my original

wood shutters with vinyl and I refuse to do it.

Most people around here are also obsessed with vinyl frame

replacement windows and I want to keep mine original, with the

original heavy storm windows , that need to be hung each winter.  I'm trying to keep the house as original as I can.

Respected Contributor

I love historic homes!  My house was built in 1897. It is a lovely stone Victorian.  At the end of my street is a cottage house built around 1700.  George Washington and his troops marched nearby a few decades later.  

Every time I travel I try to visit some historic places.  There are many architectural masterpieces in our country that are worth preserving.  I have also contributed to preserving some castles in France through the program "Adopte un chateau/Dartagnan."

I am glad you enjoyed your visit!

Trusted Contributor

@Enufstuff
I know the shutters on the house now are not original. I also thought that the hardware might have been to use with a " shutterdog"(?) mounted to the shutter or screen itself?
There were aluminum screens over the original windows on the porch that were old enough IMO to be scrapped.
No way would I remove my original windows and replace them either!! I do realize that there is a cost to maintaining a historic property because there just aren't enough craftsmen to not get premium prices for there work. There's nothing worse than a beautiful old home with vinyl windows šŸ˜±
I'll have to look at the room again that I had a question about because even though now it's being used as a dining room who knows what it was originally used for. But there was one room directly to the right as you walk into the front door that HAD to belong to the master of the house. Unmistakably masculine men's room. Beautiful wainscoting, heavier millwork, smaller. Surely it once housed an armchair and desk.
There is much to this home that I hope to see that I didn't see. It was just like walking back in time and what craftsmanship and goods that were readily available was mind-blowing. I couldn't help but compare that to what's available today and it wasn't a good feeling.
Thank you for being caring enough to preserve history for future generations šŸ‘
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FancyPhillyshopper   Your stone Victorian sounds gorgeous.

I love Victorians. My first house was an 1898 Victorian with a

Mansard style roof. I was 19 years old when we bought it.

After twelve years, we wanted a little more land and a better neighborhood. Our first house had a buyer and we had not yet

found a house with enough bedrooms for 5 children, a nice porch, a fireplace, at least two bathrooms and a garage.

Franticly, I went out again with my real estate agent and she took me to a house that was listed that day and did'nt even have a for sale sign yet. This was the house, a 1914 four square

on a little hill with a knoll of tall pine trees and it had wrap around porches.

When we came up to the porch, there was a large field stone

chimney. It was a little disappointing that when we stepped inside, the fireplace was brick, not stone. The inside was

immaculate and had lovely hardwood floors. It was move in ready. Do you have a stone fireplace?

I knew that this was our house. It had land and everything we

wanted. I called my husband at his work and he told me to give the agent a binder and he had not even seen it yet.

Our youngest child turned four on the weekend that we moved in and I am still here, 44 years later, now with my second husband.

Don't you love living in an historic area with a house from the 1700's? We don't have anything that old in our neighborhood, but we live in a city near Salem, MA that is full of historic houses. The only time any of us go there is when it is not full of tourists.

It is great that so many castles and chateaus are being restored in France and that you have contributed to their preservation.

On PBS, I have seen a few episodes of "Escape to the Chateau"and found it to be fascinating. I would love to live in one of those.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you for sharing this.  I also love old homes; they have such character.  I think that's why I love visiting Cape May, NJ, so much.

My first serious boyfriend and his family lived in a beautiful old home in Westchester County, NY.  Their house was once a farmhouse.  It had a beautiful wrap around porch.  A living room and sitting room.  The bathrooms upstairs actually had chains to flush the toilet.  I was sorry when we broke up - not for him; I wanted to stay in that house!

Trusted Contributor

@fancyPhillyshopper
I've only seen stone homes on TV! I've never laid eyes on one and I surely would love to šŸ˜
The most beautiful part of those historic homes is that stonework and beams, imo.
How lucky you are but I do understand that there's quite a bit of responsibility to maintaining such a home šŸ”
@Enufstuff
I would love to see your area in the fall šŸšŸ’•
My favorite show is Escape to the Chateau!šŸ˜

@roeroe1005
When I was 10-12 yrs old my aunt rented a really old home ( I'd say 1880's). From the huge old original front door you walked into a very wide hallway running the entire length of the house. There were 3 massive rooms off of each side of this hallway. At the end of the hallway was another door that opened onto a porch with a bathroom and kitchen separate from the rest of the house. This bathroom still had the original clawfoot tub. The only lock on any door in that house was the front door { a different time}
So I can relate to the feeling you get inside a house that just makes you want to stay and take care of it.
I have had a love affair with old homes as long as I remember. I can remember in detail my bedroom when I was only 2 yrs old. šŸ˜ It had a fireplace šŸ˜

It's so nice talking to ladies with the same respect and love for old houses as I have.
Lots of ppl hate old houses!
It's been a real pleasure reading all your posts!

I did forget to mention that the old ice house is still standing behind the big house

Trusted Contributor

Screenshot_20230107-222851.pngScreenshot_20230107-222715.png