Super Contributor

I had done a chair and thought I would try my sofa. The sofa was much easier because it was in good shape, just needed new fabric. I'm going to try and attach Before and After photos. It's a Waverly fabric, kind of a cotton duck. The sofa itself is 20 years old. Next: new pillows and curtains! It was fun but a lot of work. 

Before/After

old sofa.PNG

new sofa.PNG

Respected Contributor

Re: I reupholstered my sofa!

@carlycat

Wow ! Your sofa looks wonderful ! I'm so envious, that's something I wish I knew how to do.

Honored Contributor

You did a great job!!!!!!!!

Honored Contributor

Wow you are talented, love the fabric remindes me of the english cottage style.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

The after photos look great!  Did you do the upholstering yourself or hire a pro?

Honored Contributor

Great job!  Congrats!

Honored Contributor

Looks fantastic! Did you do that yourself? @carlycat

Respected Contributor

Wow.   That looks great.   

You did that yourself?    If you did, you saved hundreds of dollars.   Upholsterers charge an arm and a leg!

Valued Contributor

@carlycat nice job. I have a friend who reupholsters chairs as a hobby. She finds them at Goodwill. I'd love to be so talented.

Super Contributor

You all are so nice! I wanted it to look like English country style so I'm glad to hear that comment. This sofa was in good shape. I didn't even take off all the old fabric, like on the arms or the inside back. I didn't have to get new cushions, just made new covers. I used to sew my clothes when I was younger and clothes weren't so cheap. It's not worth it now. However, I can see why re-upholstering is expensive because it's a lot of work. I was VERY lucky and got the fabric for $10 a yard, which is insanely cheap. It's back up to $15 a yard now and even that's cheap for upholstery fabric. I ordered 28 yards, and I have a LOT left over. Maybe 8 yards. But I didn't want to run out!! (So will be making curtains, pillows, etc.) It's really not as hard as you think, you just staple the fabric onto the sofa. This was easy because all the cushions are separate. So I had to make 6 big cushions, and over 50 yards of piping. But I didn't want to just toss the sofa! Thanks for your comments!