Honored Contributor

Re: I need a hug, a stiff drink and water mitigation

@IamMrsG wrote:

The clothes washer overflowed today, causing damage in 4 rooms.  Two of the rooms have brand new LVT floating floors that now need to be pulled up, dried out and re-installed.    Oops, can't cry -- that's more water.  

Edited to correct grammar.

@IamMrsG  The water pipe in the laundry room broke causing water to gush out at rapid speed traveling from the laundry room, through the kitchen, through the dining room, and into the living room.  It warped the dining room floor so that is being replaced soon, and ruined a wall to wall carpet in the living room, which will be replaced with hardwood soon.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

UPDATE:  The house is dry again, the fans and dehumidifiers have been removed, so quiet has been restored as well.  We have an appointment with a flooring company later in the week. 

What I really wanted to say, though, is a sincere THANK YOU to all who empathized, commiserated and shared their own stories with me on this thread.  This is our first experience with water damage, and it has been a real education.  Believe me, it does not take much time for water to cause thousands of dollars in damage.  In our case, about ten minutes of flood turned into approximately $5,000 in repairs.

OH, this might be interesting / helpful to some -- the water mitigation crew told me the #1 source of water damage inside the home is the water line attached to our refrigerators.  In fact, this source of trouble is so prevalent, the president of the company refuses to allow one in his own house. 

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Honored Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

UPDATE:  The house is dry again, the fans and dehumidifiers have been removed, so quiet has been restored as well.  We have an appointment with a flooring company later in the week. 

What I really wanted to say, though, is a sincere THANK YOU to all who empathized, commiserated and shared their own stories with me on this thread.  This is our first experience with water damage, and it has been a real education.  Believe me, it does not take much time for water to cause thousands of dollars in damage.  In our case, about ten minutes of flood turned into approximately $5,000 in repairs.

OH, this might be interesting / helpful to some -- the water mitigation crew told me the #1 source of water damage inside the home is the water line attached to our refrigerators.  In fact, this source of trouble is so prevalent, the president of the company refuses to allow one in his own house. 

@IamMrsG  If you can believe it, ours broke and the water traveled into the living room from the line under the kitchen sink.  The only way I knew was that the room smelled musty. I looked around and saw that the carpet in a corner, the kitchen on the other side of the wall, was soaking wet.  Who knew that that could happen, going into another room from under the floor. I guess that is where the line runs.  So, we have had two incidents inside, we won't mention all of the pipes/lines that have broken through the years outside causing a small fortune in repairs.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

mousiegirl wrote: @IamMrsG  If you can believe it, ours [refrigerator water line] broke and the water traveled into the living room from the line under the kitchen sink.  The only way I knew was that the room smelled musty. I looked around and saw that the carpet in a corner, the kitchen on the other side of the wall, was soaking wet.  Who knew that that could happen, going into another room from under the floor. I guess that is where the line runs.  So, we have had two incidents inside, we won't mention all of the pipes/lines that have broken through the years outside causing a small fortune in repairs.

Based on my experience this week, @mousiegirl, I can believe it.  Until you see for yourself how far and quickly water can travel, and how much damage it can do along the way, it's hard to understand.  In fact, the mitigation crew told me water can cause as much damage/expense as fire.  That's a staggering thought.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.