Respected Contributor

Husbands and Their Decorating Input ??

I have a friend that is redecorating her family room and she is at odds with her husband over the new design.....they have different views and she is really frustrated.

My husband has always allowed me to decorate as I wish.

My question:  how much input does your husband have in your decorating choices/design?

Honored Contributor

Re: Husbands and Their Decorating Input ??

Mine can talk till the cows come home.  It's his home too.

Frequent Contributor

My husband has always (40 plus years) had a hugebinput in decorating. I do like most of what he likes so It hasnt been an isue too many times. I have won a few arguments because I hated what he wanted to do( paint colors,paintings) but mostly we agree. It takes a lot of pressure off of me if he decides these things so i’m good with it.

We have been trying to pick a grey shade of paint for 3 months! I have swatches taped to the wall and neither of us can come to an agreement🙄

Valued Contributor

My husband is brilliant.  He will say, " You choose it and I will love it".   We have been doing and redoing an old, old house for 30 plus years. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL!!! NADA!!!

If he decorated I probably would not live here.

My brothers wife kept emailing him pics of bedroom comforter sets, knick knacks, pics etc to see which ones he likes better when we were at my dad's. I asked why is she asking you. He's one of those I guess that thinks his .02¢ counts. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

He has to live here too - it is OUR home not MY home. Do we have disagreements ? Absolutely. But pretty much we have similar taste. He has his model cars on display both in the LR and his den. When my girlfriends ask me how I feel about them I just say as long as he keeps them dusted. I'm sure he isn't too crazy about my teapot collection.

Valued Contributor

My husband and I have always chosen the big things -- furniture -- art work -- etc.  It is something we enjoy doing together.  He has great taste and I respect his opinion.  We usually agree but I remember one painting that he really liked and I wasn't thrilled with -- but it wasn't a big deal so I compromised.  (He does the same for me.)  I love it now and it is the one everybody who visits compliments us on.

I saw a sign in a paint store years ago that I have never forgotten.  "No man is allowed to leave this store with a custom paint color without a written note from his wife."  LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I usually come up with the concept then we choose pieces together.  If there is a disagreement, he generally defers to my decision.

Edited to clarify:  I am talking about furniture and "big" purchases.  As far as general decorating, that's my thing.  He doesn't usually chime in any of that.

Honored Contributor

My husband shares my thoughts that “less is best”.   I keep everything very simple here and we’re both happy.   

He grew up in a home where every room was crammed full of furniture and plants, the walls and table surfaces were covered, and throw rugs were everywhere.  

We are on the the same page with the colors we like; red, navy, green and yellow.   I pushed the color thing a bit far once with peach drapes and bedspread in our bedroom.   

Honored Contributor

In the early years, we used to choose things together, but honestly as the years have progressed, I do most of it now. 

More expensive things like furniture, I choose what I want then let him think I'm seeking his advice/consent/contribution, but in reality he doesn't really care. He more cares that we stay out of debt and pay for things either in cash or on a program without interest. 

I don't make big purchases without consulting him, but he really doesn't care to input about the color/style etc. He just likes to know before the money is spent.