Contributor

Re: How far away is your mailbox?

Until about two years ago, our Mail came through a slot in our heavy oak door. Occasionally, magazines and catalogs were crushed so we pu a box on the front of the house.  Homes on our street were built in the 1800s, so everyone has their Mail delivered right to the house.  I guess I am spoiled.

Esteemed Contributor

Ours is a community mail box also. About a block away. We never know when mail has been delivered. They jam it in the too small of a slot. In the winter the doors and locks freeze shut. I really really dislike it! 

Respected Contributor

Our part of the neighborhood does- located at the end of our driveways. A new part is starting to be built and they will have centrally located mailboxes.

Honored Contributor

1/4 of a mile down the driveway.

Honored Contributor

Mine is in a bank of 60 - 70 mailboxes in this condo community.  It's down the hill a bit but only a minute's walk from my front door.  I thought that was a plus when I bought this condo many years ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

Our house was built in 1986 and the mailboxes are in groups of 4-5 usually about half way down the block. Ours is 2 houses away. In newer subdivisions they are cluster mailboxes for many people. The only ones that still have door delivery are in older neighborhoods.

Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Complaining that you have to WALK to your mailbox? Seriously? Getting out in the fresh air and having a walk is good for you! Please just change your mindset and think of this as a positive thing. Start walking for exercise and you won't have to worry about how you'll get your mail in the future. 

It's not very pleasant when it's 115 outside with sun beating down and you have to walk to get the mail. If I waited until it's cooler I wouldn't get the mail till after dark when it's only 100. 

Honored Contributor

Around here mail delivery by walking mail carriers is to slots in the home and closer to town. Mail delivered to a driveway mailbox is by carriers in a mail truck as they do not get out of the truck. Also mail truck delivery is for homes not near town. 

Honored Contributor

Our mailbox is at the end of the driveway.  Packages are left at the front door.  Mail delivered daily.

Esteemed Contributor

In our townhouse community we have a small "post office" which houses all the mail boxes, each with their unit # on it.   We have 100 units here.  Of course the mail room is at the very beginning of the complex and we live at the end up a steep hill.   Thankfully we are still able to do the long walk and it's lovely on a nice weather day.  Usually we will pick it up on our way in or out doing errands or appointments, easier that way especially if you are carrying packages.  I don't mind it as the packages are left in bins in there and all units have a key to the outside locked door, so everything is safe from theft and or the weather.