Esteemed Contributor

How do you purge things you really like but don't use?

I have 2 areas that I look at and think I should thin out....but I can't.

One is my closet....I have some beautiful dressy clothes that I haven't worn since I retired. I'll take out a top and look at it and think how pretty it is and I should wear it some day and back in the closet it goes.

Then there are my cupboards with my serving pieces. I have some beautiful platters......soup tureen......cut glass relish trays...beautiful bowls. I use some of them around the Holidays once a year.

I keep looking at this stuff....but I just can't throw out or donate things from these two areas.....LOL

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: How do you purge things you really like but don't use?

@Nataliesgramma , I had a hard time when I retired getting rid of work clothing.  Alter awhile, a just did it.  I serve on several committees now.  People don’t dress up for work any more.  

I did a huge purge, updated my dressed up look with a few quality staples and left it at that.  Now if I have to go anywhere dressy, I am set.  I can tell you it happens less and less often.  Everything is so casual today.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma wrote:

I have 2 areas that I look at and think I should thin out....but I can't.

One is my closet....I have some beautiful dressy clothes that I haven't worn since I retired. I'll take out a top and look at it and think how pretty it is and I should wear it some day and back in the closet it goes.

Then there are my cupboards with my serving pieces. I have some beautiful platters......soup tureen......cut glass relish trays...beautiful bowls. I use some of them around the Holidays once a year.

I keep looking at this stuff....but I just can't throw out or donate things from these two areas.....LOL

@Nataliesgramma 

This is exactly where I am! When I read your post, I thought --- yes, yes --- I feel the same way.

I have been seeing that lady --- with her book about purging and getting rid of all things that you don't use and don't give you joy.  

I think a person cannot keep EVERYTHING that they no longer use.  However, I don't see anything wrong with keeping a few things that are especially lovely and really touch your heart --- whether they are clothing or household items. 

Why should a person just be limited to keeping items which are useful but which do not bring much joy to your heart or do not make you smile when you look at them?

I believe in donating items that are accumulating and know that they will be of good use and help others.  Since recently having retired myself, I am in the midst of "ridding out" as my dear mother used to call it and am giving tons of things away to charity.

I have quite a few items that I know will never be worn again or used again, but I simply at this point CANNOT part with them. I felt guilty at first but then now I am thinking why?  I deserve to keep things which I love, which are beautiful and bring joy to me whether I use them or not.

So, you are definitely not alone in how you feel about this!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma -

You said it all so well, describing what I bet a lot of us feel.

I think you should keep them until you feel like you want to part with any, whether its a cup or plate or 2 or a bunch. 

Its nice when you have the feeling oh I can give this away or to a special someone.

I've started giving a pretty plate or cup filled with candy as a birthday gift or to a hostess

and that makes me happy and them too.

Until you find a place that you like for any of it, more than the place it is now, keep them and enjoy them however little or often you want.

They are yours and you don't have to give them away and when you want to, that will make you feel good too.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Nataliesgramma 

I would repurpose what I can't give up.

Beautiful bowl? Put it on the counter and keep fresh fruit in it.

Platter? Turn it into a wall hanging and add photos with double sided tape.

Add candles and turn it into a centerpiece.

I have three pieces of Polish Pottery that I use in my bathroom.  Two "apple" cookers hold my cotton pads and my night guard.  A loaf pan sits on top of my toilet, where I store my makeup.

Beautiful blouse?  Find out why you don't wear it.  Does it need to be tailored?  Would you wear it if it were sleeveless or short sleeved?  Dresses?  Do you need a pair of more comfortable shoes to go with it?

Respected Contributor

I had that issue several years ago.  If you are not ready to get rid of items then don't.  You will know when its the right time.  I did.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono -

What good ideas! 

That is a fun thing to do-finding other purposes for things especially when we'd like to look at them everyday instead of sitting in a cabinet.

Or wondering why we don't wear something and fixing it up here or there into what we want.

I bet we'll give each other more great ideas with this thread!

Thanks for starting this @Nataliesgramma!

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

I understand what the OP is saying....I try to repurpose a lot of my decorative accessories....that keeps me from buying to much and it's fun to figure out how to use something in a different way than it's intended purpose.  I also have some nice pieces of clothing in my closet, I cannot seem to let them go........

Esteemed Contributor

Move to a smaller place then you’ll have to purge!  🤣🤣🤣🤣 

If you can’t do that then donate your clothes to an organization that will give them to women rejoining the work force. You’ll clothes will once again be put to good use and look at the great thing you did helping a person get a job. As for your serving pieces can you offer to family then you can visit the pieces at the holidays. 

I know it’s hard but you can do it. Just think of all the new stuff you can buy in all that room. ❤️

Valued Contributor

We just moved in order to downsize, so I had to be quite diligent in getting rid of a lot. The hardest thing for me to get rid of was our entire dining room set. It is a beautiful solid cherry consisting of china cabinet, table, and eight chairs. It was the first furniture DH and I bought when we married nearly 40 years ago. Yes, it was hard to let it go, but I really had no choice. There are other things (accessories) that I just couldn’t let go, and I am still trying to find a place for in our new home. I don’t have much trouble letting go of clothing. If I haven’t worn it in over a year, out it goes. Why take up closet space with something I’m not using. Maybe try looking at it like this - If you get rid of clothes you never wear, it will make room for new clothes that you will wear.