Frequent Contributor

How do I get grease off cement steps?

Last week when we had a pizza delivered the box leaked all over my front steps. The topping of the pizza had also fallen to one side. I can't seem to get the grease from the pizza off. I tried Mr. Clean full strength and it is still there. Anyone have any idea how to get it off my cement steps? It looks terrible. Thanks.

Trusted Contributor

Re: How do I get grease off cement steps?

Have you tried Dawn dish washing soap? They use that to get oil off wildlife after oil spills. It is worth a try. Good luck.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Trusted Contributor

Definitely try Dawn!
Honored Contributor

You need a professional degreaser. Gosh, I can't remember the name of it but it comes in a purple container and I remember my husband buying it at WalMart, but I believe auto places like Auto-Zone may carry it. But I think a strong degreaser meant for engines, or even the ones made for concrete will take a lot of it off, and then the weather will eventually take the rest of it off.

We had our trash truck guys dump a load of grease on our concrete driveway!! It was a lot and it looked horrible. DH bought a couple of gallons (yes, it was that bad!) of this purple stuff and it did a pretty good job (that was last summer) by the time our first snow fell, the weather had taken care of what was left.

Good luck! Hope it helps....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

Great minds think alike!! LOL First thing I thought about was Dawn!!

Honored Contributor

I forgot about Dawn... that may work!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I would think the cleaner actually removed the grease, and all you are seeing is simply a stain on the cement. Cement is porous, so the grease soaked into it immediately, and left a stain that will wear away with time, or use a cleaner formulated specifically for concrete.
Honored Contributor

Try dousing the stain with Clorox right out of the bottle. Let it sit a few minutes, then hose it off. It's my "be all, end all" for stains on cement but I've never tried it on grease. I've removed some horrendous stains with this method. Doesn't hurt vegetation.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

Dawn...it's the same thing they use to clean oil off of animals (safe for the environment) after oil spills. It's the best de-greaser out there. Clorox won't work on grease...it will just remove all other organic stains making the grease stained area look worse. Use dawn and a good stiff scrub brush and rinse well.

Trusted Contributor

I would try Pour N Restore. I haven't used it myself but I have heard good things about it.

http://www.pour-n-restore.com/products/oil-stain-remover.html