Super Contributor

Re: How about ""whimsy"" in home decor? Do you like it?

I think of Jim Shore's designs as whimsical. Something that has a little 'magic' or fantasy to it. I like a little whimsy but not if it's the core of décor! Then it becomes a bit too child-like, IMO. OK for kid's room, not so much for an adult's room.

I do enjoy seeing some whimsical pieces in a garden area. Lola's pix (post 30) of garden cats are really cute!

Esteemed Contributor

A few tree faces are probably the most whimsical thing I have. . .Got them at Garden Ridge and hung them on trees in the back corner of the yard near a swing.

Honored Contributor

I am still a kid when it comes to Christmas! It is my favorite time of year. My decor is mostly whimsical, and the predominant color is red. I am a multi light lover, so those are on the trees, garlands, and wreaths, also jingle bells hanging around door knobs or wherever they will jingle frequently. I have tons of stuffed animals, snowmen, Anna Lee characters, and Jim shore around the living room and family room. The kitchen is gingerbread and candy decor.

The main tree is real, but I have several artificial trees with themes, such as a mouse tree, a German animal tree, a bird tree, a mini animal Steiff tree, and an Anna Lee ornament tree. I used to put everything out every year, but now, not all trees and decor go up every year, but always the main tree, which I decorate with glass ornaments, mostly animals, but lots of balls, candy canes, glass birds, and as much other decor as I have the energy for. When DD was little, she had an artificial tree in the family room which she decorated with stuffed and wooden ornaments so there would be no breakage. I always burn real candles at Christmas for the fragrance and ambience, but have recently used flamess candles on timers on the mantle so I don't have to climb up on the raised hearth and turn each one off separately, so much easier.

I have a Mr. Christmas Santa's Workshop which I bought over twenty years ago, and it delights everyone who sees it, especially the kids when DD was younger, also a large train with Santa wishing a Merry Christmas to all, which goes around whatever object strikes us. One year, I had a Christmas party and the train was under the dining room table, which was used buffet style sans the chairs, and it was a big hit. The kids went under the table, and the parents watched from a higher angle.

Super Contributor

I incorporate nice Disney characters in my curio cabinet all year long. I like things that are fun, have personality, and makes everyone smile. It is so easy with Disney because most everyone has grown up with Disney. Have Disney in Christmas decor too. I love the Christmas Victorian Disney.

I always find it so funny how some folks make remarks about collectibles being dust catchers because...HELLO everything in the universe collects dust because it is partly made of dust. Gee, I hope those people dust their tv, computer, furniture, cabinets, floors, inside their cars.. so forth and so on. I sure hope they bathe too because humans collect dust lol.

Occasional Contributor

I guess I have Whimsy in my garden...color changing lights/figures, lovely whimsical sunflowers and other garden stakes. But in my house, it is more country/rustic, but nothing I would call whimsical. I have gotten rid of most knick-knacks and have definitely gone more minimalistic in the house, except for my art room which is pretty fun. But I do like a fun and colorful garden. Whimsy is good for the soul.