Respected Contributor

Re: How Useful Is Your Robot Vacuum Cleaner?

After air conditioning I think the robot vacuums are the greatest invention.  I absolutely hate vacuuming.  I hate the cord, noise and just pushing it around.  So when I got my shark robot vacuum a few years ago and it went under the bed I felt such joy.  I use it several times a week and have never not been amazed when I open it up and empty all the hair and dirt from from my dogs.  I have carpet in the bedrooms and laminate and throw rugs elsewhere.  I now want a newer one that empties itself and mops.  Not a time that I have used it do I feel anything but happiness it is doing the work not me. Now I just need to figure out the best one to buy.

Esteemed Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I'll be the one dissenting vote.  Didn't care for it. Too noisy and scared the cats.  Too much time trying to dig the cat hair out of it.  They may have fixed that problem, but there actually used to be an article on the net called Where all the cat hair goes that gave instructions on how to take the thing apart to get at all the cat hair hiding spots.  

The Scooba, which was the wet version often got caught on the toe railing of the cabinets and it left the floor too wet. Plus, I really needed to move the kitchen chairs to another room if I wanted it to get under the kitchen table.  Just too many obstacles.  I prefer a steam cleaner for my kitchen/bath floors. 

@Icegoddess  I agree w/you.  I have carpeting all over and it does not do the job like my vacuum cleaner.  Yes, it is a pain to drag around, but I have watched the Roomba and a lot of times it keeps going over the same spot and not others.  I have no pets, so don't know about pet hair.

Also, it does not have a brush on it like my power vacuum, so does not pick up the same.  I think I wasted my money

Honored Contributor

Any chance one's coming out soon that will also move the chairs? 

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Super Contributor

Got my Roomba about 3 years ago; it spends more time plugged into its charging unit than being used. It gets caught up in the cords I have for my lamps and gets "trapped" in rooms if I don't have the doors blocked open. Definitely a waste of money for me. I'll stick my my Shark vacuum any day!

Respected Contributor

I have 3 Shark IRobots.  One on each level of my home.  I have mostly carpet on 3rd level, hardwood flooring on 2nd and carpet and tile in finished basement and it works great in all areas.  I especially like the vacuum "marks" it makes on the carpet.  Looks nice and clean.

Honored Contributor

I was always wondering how those robots work.  Since I am in an apt.  I don't think it would work out for me.  ENjoy.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I love my roomba!  I have wood, carpet and tile and a dog!  I run it at least 5 days a week.  My home is 1756 sq. feet, all one level, 3 bedrooms, 2 baths.  I run it every day in the kitchen and dinning room (all one room) in the evening before I get into bed, so it works while I sleep!

I never expected it to be as powerful or even replace my vacuum but it has cut down on my use of it and my home is, always, tidy because of the roomba and with no effort by me!!!!!!!!!!!

I've used a roomba for 12 years, would never give it up..............just sorry it didn't have one when I worked full time.