Super Contributor

We had a terrible problem with ants in one of the master baths last year - first time we ever had ants. We had our regular professional guy come in and spray like he always does, but the ants kept coming. He came back and sprayed again, but the ants seemed to like it. I finally resorted to liquid terro. Only problem was we have pets, so we had to be sure we kept that bathroom door closed while we were using it. It worked!

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor
On 4/23/2014 stilltamn8r said:

That Chinese ant chalk works really well, but not if you have pets...

I've never heard of Chinese ant chalk. What is this?

Super Contributor
On 4/24/2014 ChynnaBlue said:
On 4/23/2014 stilltamn8r said:

That Chinese ant chalk works really well, but not if you have pets...

I've never heard of Chinese ant chalk. What is this?

I buy it online- here is a description of it

http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/11/home/hm-ants11

Super Contributor

I also use DE (diatomaceous earth.) I sprinkle it in cracks in the driveway where they are coming out, or in parts of the field or lawn that are too close to the house. I also use it under beehives to get beetles that may fall down. (It will kill bees, but not used in this way.) I sprinkle it on ants that are coming into the home, and also around the perimeter of the house at the soil line.

You can buy a large bag at places like Tractor Supply or other farm stores. It's non-toxic, but be careful not to breathe it in.

Frequent Contributor

I too seem to be having this problem right now in my kitchen.... I have been online reading about natural home remedies and nothing is working..... I plan to buy those plastic traps that are being recommended.... thanks!!

Respected Contributor

Mimi-

You need to get rid of the ants that are already in your house. The white vinegar REALLY works extremely well to keep them away.

Honored Contributor

I'm telling you my daughter was going crazy with the tiny ants. They were in her kitchen too.

Then I bought her some of that liquid ant stuff (we all mentioned earlier) and poof! They are gone.

It's not like anyone is going to eat the stuff (I don't even know if it's toxic). Only you know how bad it is.

Try everything and see what happens. I hope you are able to get rid of them and keep them away.

Esteemed Contributor

halfpint: 2 yrs ago, ants invaded my extra refrigerator which is in my garage. I sprayed Simple Green one time -- and they never returned. Spray it in ur dishwasher.

Super Contributor

I just use the Raid ant buttons that kill the colony also, they take the bait back to the colony and it kills all of them.

Super Contributor

DH puts these stakes in the ground outside around the house, we don't have ants anymore.