Trusted Contributor

Housing Market - Anyone Contemplating?

After much discussing, we've decided to list our home for sale.  Tired of the tight city living & we dreamed of a country type atmosphere (within our $$ range, which isn't high.)  Our home has been paid off for years so we don't want to have another mortgage.  Nor, if possible, to not touch the 401K.  DH is only working part-time & I plan on the same within 1-2 yrs.

I admit, it's a bit of an over-reach for us.  But I took my Mom with me yesterday to check out a home in a town next to Spfld., MA.  It's about $30,000 over what we want to pay - BUT, shock of all shocks, DH said if I want to take the $$ from our 401K to use, he's fine with it.  HUH?  If you only knew this week the back/forth with him being undecisive, it just took me by surprise.  

Our agent I met with yesterday seems to think our (what I call size 7) home would sell quickly.  The comps she showed for the same size home also showed the 3 homes that sold all got over their list prices.  I felt encouraged after that.  Agent, recognizing my feelings for staying within budget as close as possible, even volunteered to decrease her commission from 6% to 5%.  Without me even mentioning it, I was very grateful for her doing that.  

Anyways, with the market seeming to be on the upswing, it seemed wise at this time to get in on it.  Is anyone else contemplating the pros/cons of the current housing market & possibly deciding in favor of joining the flow?

Hoping for our dream to come true.  Keeping fingers crossed.

Respected Contributor

Re: Housing Market - Anyone Contemplating?

[ Edited ]

I’m looking to go into a townhouse from a cramped apartment and the market is pretty good in my area.  Condo sales are a bit slower than home sales in my area which I’m happy about, as the slower market may work to my benefit price wise.

Springtime is a great time for new beginnings, so best of luck if you decide to make a move.  I believe you will love country living. 🙂

P.S. I just reread your post and I was born and raised in the area that you’re living in.  In fact, I worked in Holyoke and Springfield for many years.  I’m now living 2 hours away in another New England state but go back to western MA frequently.

"Summer afternoon-summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language." ~Henry James
Honored Contributor

Are you old enough to take money from the 401k without a penalty?

Personally, I would not take money from one to buy a home.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ScenicMaine   I understand your reasons.  Houses have continually gone up.  If this is your forever dream house that offers you peace, you are convinced that you are getting an excellent price, and you are not placed in a compromising financial position - I'd buy.

Trusted Contributor

Hello @Topaz Gem Fellow New Englander ..

Thank you.

I gave the realtor several areas for the search & I saw a few townhomes for sale in our $$ range.  The problem is our large dog who loves barking frequently.  I think such close living would probably anger most close neighbors.

Also, part of our decision to list is our current home is very close to neighbors on both sides.  When I moved here in my early 30s, our street/neighborhood was on the quieter side & more respectable.  Not as much now.  

I wish you luck on your search.  Hope you find what you want.  The agent did say this time year is best because families who buy can settle their kids into school before the new school year begins.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @tansy 

Yes we're both within age so no penalty.

If necessary, I plan to use 401K ONLY within the range I mentioned but hopefully lower.  I did mention we want to stay in budget.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you @phoenixbrd 

Yes it would be our dream home, in budget.  Our plan is to not move again.  Maybe not near certain areas we would prefer (don't want to be so far from my elderly Mom when needed to pitch in.)  But still  a few horse farms nearby & not as crowded of a town.  

I review the housing market almost daily & this particular home has decreased in price $15K.  I've been keeping my eye out in several areas for pricing, property taxes - as much info as I can gather to help in our decision making.  If we aren't fortunate for things to work in our favor, then we just will stay here.   

Esteemed Contributor

@ScenicMaine  For me, it's priorities first, money second. It's a good time to sell. 

I understand staying away from condo's with big dogs. I lived in two.  Also in a condo, your monthly fees can move up in a hurry and personally I want fixed costs as much as possible in retirement.

I recently bought a wooded parcel to build on. I already live rural so acreage isn't intimidating.

When your heart says this is it then use your 401k. DH may be more ready to move on to more peace than you know!

Honored Contributor

@ScenicMaine   Sounds as if you have thought things through.  Have you checked to see at what price the owners purchased and how rapidly they are coming down in price?  There might be a bit more negotiating room?  Are the taxes comparable to your current home?  Just a couple of considerations.

If this house doesn't work for you, there will be another on the market that will.  I truly can relate to wanting some space around you, especially in retirement/part-time years.  You have earned some relaxation. 

I know this will work out for you and wishing you the best.  Keep us posted!

Respected Contributor

Phoenix Az is building ton of apts & single family homes. The single family home 3 beds, 2 1/2 bath brand new starting $500,000not much yard, have community parks & pool. HOA's expensive, I love walking threw the models no dinning rooms, it's large kitchen with a huge island that may seat 6-8 people very open floor plan. Average apt rent is about $1200 a month for a 1 bedroom DD brought a townhouse 2yrs ago, that is going up so fast in value because not much townhouses to choose from. DH & I retired live in a 4 bed 2 1/2 bath ranch style & paid for so we are staying. I have seen so many 55 & older, in the middle of nowhere, where is shopping, hospitals etc...not for me yet. Also we have nice neighbors.