Honored Contributor

Stuff the backpack/stuff the bus drives already

Every summer, after the 4th of July when the back to school ads start, the charity drives to 'stuff the bus' or 'stuff the backpack' to collect school supplies for various charities to distribute for the new school year begin. I have no issue with the drives, I'm all about people helping people rather than the government doing it.

But they started pushing this in our closest big city, just last week. School isn't even out here yet for the summer, and very few schools around here do a year around schedule. 

I guess they saw how early Christmas now comes out (and how successful that is), and thought they might benefit by starting during the 'old' school year for next, I suppose. 

I personally think it will fall on deaf ears, as there aren't really any cheap supplies out in the stores yet. I fear people will tire of hearing about it, and tune out when the time really comes for the deals and people to get things together for the upcoming school year.

I've just never seen this started so early in our area, and I'm not really sure it is a smart marketing move. Anyone else notice they are starting these programs already in your area?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Stuff the backpack/stuff the bus drives already

School up here will let out close to a week late this year due to so many cancelled weather days.

I'll just say from a personal perspective that I was a struggling parent for many years but ya know, I figured it out. How to get school supplies and a few new clothes every fall.

From backpacks to crayons to gym shoes and school trips, I did it. So if I can do it, why can't nearly everyone? Or has it just become just easier to wait for a handout than work it out for yourself?

Esteemed Contributor

Just speculating, but perhaps the organizers are trying to tap into businesses which have school supply items leftover from their inventory for the 2018-2019 school term.  In most cases any leftovers would not be boxed and stored away to come out again in August.  The store budgets for the 2019-2020 term has already been spent for the new supplies which will begin to arrive in July and August. Therefore, perhaps the organizers are hoping the businesses will donate those leftover items. For the stores, the charitable write-off may be greater than the profit earned from selling the merchandise at deeply discounted prices. 

Honored Contributor

Perhaps it has something to do with buying before the new tariffs hit?
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

It’s early in my nearest large city, too, @Mominohio.  It started last week. In my smaller town it will start about the middle of July.  

Elementary teachers will buy supplies out of their own pockets for students who do not have what they need. Instead of Stuff the Bus, I buy supplies (and Clorox Wipes) and drop them off at a couple of local schools. I know a couple of teachers and check with them first to see what they need most. 

By doing it this way, I know supplies will go to students who need them. Teachers go through cartons of Clorox Wipes during the year, so I take those, too.

Respected Contributor

As a parent of a 4th grader my son has so much school supplies at home and I am always buying facial tissues, hand sanitizer and Clorox wipes for his teacher throughout the year. Once the end of year comes I realize how much surplus of supplies my son has. I could see where asking for donations at the end of the year would be beneficial. I would donate all of the supplies he didn't use and then buy him new ones before the start of the next school year.

Honored Contributor

What I don't understand is why kids need so many art supplies?  The lists I see are absurd with so many colored markers and specific things and papers etc.  Do you really need to start with all new stuff every year?  Are we teaching waste and excess to kids?  Couldn't it be simplified?

I wonder how they have time to do anything but organize and color at school.  Where do they even keep all this stuff and just as all the stuff we have at home and have, it takes a lot of time and effort to deal with it.

I think that Marie Kondo lady needs to come to school. I think some repurposing, some paring down and some calm would help everyone. 

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy I agree with what you said.I think all of the generous people in this country make i possible for some parents to spend their money and know that someone else will supply the necessities.I think it would be great if schools taught budgeting and priority spending.When I grew up we didn’t have anything but my mom always bought the necessities like school supplies.We just didn’t have ANY luxuries.I knew growing up that I was going to work hard to be successful so my life wouldn’t be so difficult.

Honored Contributor

The school supply drives have not started in my local area of WV.   

I do wish The Salvation Army would think Christmas in July, instead of limiting their bell ringing to the holiday season.   

Respected Contributor

You know, I think this is crazy!

Why don’t they just sell them like two weeks before school starts.

Ridiculous. 

-Texas Hill Country-