Respected Contributor

Homemade Laundry Detergent -- Anyone Use?

[ Edited ]

I have a recipe for laundry detergent.  

This is the laundry detergent recipe I have: 

• 1 bar (or 4.5 ounces) shaved bar soap Zote or Fels-Naptha
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda

Thoroughly stir together for several minutes. Store in a sealed container with a small scoop. 

Use 1 Tbsp. per small load (or 2-3 Tbsp for large or heavily soiled loads).

Each batch yields approximately 32 ounces (between 32-64 loads based on how many Tbsp used per load).

TIA

(I got this recipe from DIY Natural's website).  

Does anyone use and does it clean as well or better than name brand grocery store detergent?

Valued Contributor

Re: Homemade Laundry Detergent -- Anyone Use?

I use the same recipe and love it!  I started using it because I noticed quite a build-up of detergent "stink" in my washer and my laundry.  It took several washings to get all the leftover suds out of my laundry.  In time, I also noticed that my laundry is less static than it had been.

I will never go back to regular laundry detergent again.  I make mine with a box of each borax and washing soda and 4 bars of Fels Naptha.  Shred the Fels then I grind the mixture in small batches in my food processor to make a fine powder.  There are times in dark clothes that I notice the undissolved powder but it's usually when I have over stuffed my washer LOL

Trusted Contributor

I've switched to Nellie's Laundry Soda last year when HSN had their TSV for $39.95 -- 350 loads.  Now it's $59.95.  Best decision I've made.  I do make my own glycerine hand/body soap.  It's almost time for me to purchase 50 more lbs.  My husband has sensitive skin and can't use soaps like Dial, Ivory, Caress, etc. as his skin will break out.

Frequent Contributor

I have made my own detergent but it has been many years. Guess I got lazy. I did like the results.

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have a recipe for laundry detergent.  

This is the laundry detergent recipe I have: 

• 1 bar (or 4.5 ounces) shaved bar soap Zote or Fels-Naptha
  • 1 cup borax
  • 1 cup washing soda

Thoroughly stir together for several minutes. Store in a sealed container with a small scoop. 

Use 1 Tbsp. per small load (or 2-3 Tbsp for large or heavily soiled loads).

Each batch yields approximately 32 ounces (between 32-64 loads based on how many Tbsp used per load).

TIA

(I got this recipe from DIY Natural's website).  

Does anyone use and does it clean as well or better than name brand grocery store detergent?

Honored Contributor

My neighbor brought over a recipe for homemade detergent over the summer.  I don't remember everything that was in it except I know it wasn't the recipe here.  It was bright blue and the smell was overwhelming.  That's all I remember.  He said they love it and it cleans much better than anything they ever bought from the store.

I do not like heavily scented detergents so I passed.  

Honored Contributor

@henderson

I use Nellie's, too. I love it! And I am way too lazy to make my own. lol

Honored Contributor

The only recipe I've ever for homemade laundry soap required cooking it.

I don't even like cooking food so I'm sure not going to be cooking soap!

Frequent Contributor

I have used and made homemade laundry detergent before. The "recipe" I used was as follows : borax (4lb 12 oz), arm & hammer washing soda (55oz) arm & hammer pure baking soda (4lbs),  oxi clean powder(3lb), purex crystals laundry enhancer(28oz), and fels-naphtha Bars (3 bars-grated) As you can see this makes a lot! I used an empty cat litter bucket to mix it in and I layered the items, so stirring wasn't so labor intensive. Here's the good and the bad. Good, it lasted a very long time, at least a year. It's just hubby and I, so maybe 5-7 loads/wk. it's smells really good. That's about where it stops. The bad- it didn't get white laundry clean, like at all. At first it's not noticeable, but over time they are super dingy. It didn't  get heavily soiled clothes clean (sweaty workout clothes, wash cloths with makeup, etc). Lastly, the fels-naptha pieces wouldn't always dissolve (in cold water), so some clothes would have solid pieces or soapy spots left behind. As economical as homemade detergent was, I won't use it again.

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi @Sunshine Kate!  I use the exact receipe you posted and I happen to LOVE it!  I used to be a liquid detergent gal, but this is so easy to make, use, and store!  Plus no lugging heavy bottles home from the store.

We use it for all laundry, darks, lights, whites, towels, sheets, everything comes out clean and fresh.  In fact, things "feel" cleaner now.  Not sure if there was detergent residue left on things before, but there is a different feel now.  Towels especially are very soft and fluffy, much better than before.  

I also stopped using dryer sheets two years ago in favor of the wool dryer balls.  No static issues and I do think the drying time is a little less.    I have two balls I scented with essential oils so if I want a little fragrance I toss them in.  Nothing beats a wisper of lavender on fresh sheets Heart

~~Keep calm and hug your pets~~