Respected Contributor

Does anyone have any feedback or insight on wireless security systems?

We have a traditional system and we are starting to look into updating our system.

A co-worker mentioned SimpliSafe, but had no actual knowledge on the system.

TIA

Valued Contributor

I had a wireless security system and I feel the way to go since most don't use land lines. I had no problems at all. But do not use Vector Security or even consider that Company.

Respected Contributor

My home alarm company made it clear about two or three years ago that land lines were not going to be allowed any longer.  They said that land lines were being cut and then the alarm system could be by-passed.  They also mentioned that it was going to eventually be a federal requirement, but I don't remember the year this went into or goes into effect.

I decided to upgrade to the new system and love it.  First I no longer have to pay for a home phone (that is the only reason I kept my land line).  So I saved about $30/month off of my AT&T bill.  

I love having the option to arm and disarm from my cell phone.  There are a few advantages, even though my home monitoring company charges me $45/month, it is worth the money!!  If you really want to spend a lot of money, you can get it to lock/unlock the door, run a surveillance sysytem, contol your thermostat and lights.  I just have the basic + (free repair with no service charges).

Respected Contributor

I am a huge advocate of FrontPoint Security.  We have had their service for 3 years now & we are extremely satisfied with this company.  Security systems are a personal matter; what you feel/need; square footage, etc.  Google is your friend with the important decision you need to make, for what's best for you.  Determine what you need & then go shopping!

Respected Contributor
My sister and BIL have SimpliSafe. They love it. it is very easy to install yourself and connect to your wifi with battery backups. They got a refurbed unit from them, and it is perfect! You can't go wrong with them.
Respected Contributor

Sounds like these systems have come a long way!