Respected Contributor

Well, home decorating is one thing I do pretty well as it is something I love to do.    I must do a good job as I have always gotten many compliments on how my homes looked.

When I had a new house built I also needed everything - furniture carpet/floorings, tile, paint, cabinets picked out, etc.  I decided on shades of blues, greens and pale yellows.

Same thing years later when I moved again.  This time my color choices changed and I went with greens and rose colors still with touches of blue.

So the first thing is to find the soft furniture - sofas, chairs.  Perhaps you will stay with your color choice or you may find furniture that speaks to you and doesn't go with the color scheme you have in mind.  That is why I buy the soft furniture as the first purchase.  You can then coordinate your carpeting or perhaps wood floors with area rugs with the soft furniture.  Many would choose a neutral floor covering that goes with everything, but that is not me.  I want to color coordinate.  Then the choice of hard furniture is easy - which wood goes best with your soft furniture. 

Then the paint.  You can either stay with basic off white/creme/eggshell or if you want color, since you now have your soft furniture and carpeting colors picked out, you have a good idea of choices of color swatches to test with your furniture/carpet choices.  I did both, in the first house chose soft color paints to coordinate with the various rooms.  In the second house I chose to stick with off white and to some of you horrors! I also used some wallpaper!

The decorative items are last and are on-going.

I'm sure you will get it all together and have a home you will enjoy. 

Honored Contributor

I think the very first thing to do is to decide on a color palette.  Even if it means looking at furniture, flooring, etc. first to get ideas.  Then go back with your colors in mind, and shop with purpose.

Honored Contributor

You should have a color palette in mind first.

I think flooring is a good starting point.  It sets the tone for the rest of the room.  Furniture, paint, and accessories would be the order I would do things.

Honored Contributor

I just completely redecorated my entire townhouse.  It took me forever to start because, like you, it was hard to decide where to start.

I decided to start from the bottom (floors) and worked up to the light fixtures.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN