Respected Contributor

Home Decor Inspiration

[ Edited ]

This is edited......................

I really feel that my original question was not taken the way I meant it.

So, thank you for your replies and I'm sorry I asked for something that was misunderstood...........Smiley Frustrated

I hope you all have a great evening. 

Trusted Contributor

@Regal Bee You always post very beautiful pictures.

An inspiring magazine for me is Victoria.

Wish I could step into the pages some days.

Trusted Contributor
Spoiler

When we built our home I wanted a Garden window in my kitchen, but it would of been on the east side of our house and any plants in it would of fried.

Honored Contributor

If what I do or create inspires someone else that is great, but I don't set out to do things for that purpose. I'm not into creating what others will love, but what I and my family will love, or find comforting, beautiful, or homey. 

I enjoy the creative process of putting together decor, but don't have a lot of money at this time, to spend doing it, so I'm in a phase of using what I have to create new and fresh things. I'm enjoying revisiting things I already have, and combining them in new ways. 

Being an inspiration is just not on my radar, I would feel it a bit pretentious to strive for that in my simple homemaking process. I do love to share tips and results with others and see theirs though.  Sharing the experiences is enjoyable.

Honored Contributor

Re: Home Decor Inspiration

[ Edited ]

Yes ...I just read a Coastal Living Issue and the new issue of HGTV Mag. for inspiration. I love to be inspired and feel great when I give a friend an idea for their home. 

Regal Bee..you and many others  have inspired me numerous times with your ideas and lovely photos...I am thankfulWoman Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Home Decor Inspiration

[ Edited ]

Honored Contributor

@Regal Bee wrote:

@Mominohio wrote:

If what I do or create inspires someone else that is great, but I don't set out to do things for that purpose. I'm not into creating what others will love, but what I and my family will love, or find comforting, beautiful, or homey. 

I enjoy the creative process of putting together decor, but don't have a lot of money at this time, to spend doing it, so I'm in a phase of using what I have to create new and fresh things. I'm enjoying revisiting things I already have, and combining them in new ways. 

Being an inspiration is just not on my radar, I would feel it a bit pretentious to strive for that in my simple homemaking process. I do love to share tips and results with others and see theirs though.  Sharing the experiences is enjoyable.

@Mominohio  I can't help but think you may have possibly misunderstood me. Do you consider me pretentious? Money has nothing to do with inspiring others. You inspired me with your 'Lunch, Anyone' post last week. 

Forgive me.....but I am a bit confused.............Smiley Surprised

@Regal Bee

I just don't use the word 'inspire' lightly. I will say that I share ideas, processes, results, and joy in the homemaking arena, but my intent isn't to inspire anyone, or really be inspired (although I guess it could happen). I prefer to think of it as sharing. The term 'inspire' to me, should be on a higher plain or something.

My comments about money and reworking decor is just a statement about where I'm at in decorating/ renovating at this particular point in life. Not sure there is much that is truly inspiring about that! LOL

I think I consider it pretentious for myself, to set out to inspire anyone. If others strive to be an inspiration, that is not for me to judge.

Honored Contributor

Yes, @Regal Bee, the Slatkin house definitely offered some ideas I'd love to adopt!  I liked their use of plants and especially topiary-- the way they freely mix greenery and antiques and modern art-- very appealing.  I also like their casual use of big three wick chunky candles, in clear glass, strewn on the floor and steps.  It's a kind of "throwaway chic" that seems to suit them.

I get ideas too from my small library of design books, from magazines like "House Beautiful" and "Elle Decor", and of course from nature and the turn of the seasons.

Here's a minor little inspiration I got. Wanting warm weather to come, I came across some bags of sea glass in lovely colors of cobalt, aqua and clear, in the craft section of Walmart!  The glass has been tumbled, I guess, in flat, irregular shards, and is beautifully "frosted" and translucent.

Then they also had some bone white pebbles-- snagged those as well.

At home, i dug up a triangular bowl i have, in a dreamy shade of blue-turquoise.  It looks 'midcentury modern', but it isn't. Mixed the sea glass and the white pebbles, put in the blue bowl, set on coffee table.  Those cool colors and glass translucency in the modern bowl just instantly make me think of Greece, maybe a beach on the isle of Crete....

Honored Contributor

@Mominohio@I don’t understand the difference between what op said and you stated.I think you both decorate for yourselves and families...maybe friends.I like to see what anyone who is willing to share is doing.It isn’t about how much money but creativity and thought and a dash of love.I had a friend whose h9me was decorated with repurposed items from friends,family,garage sales etc and I loved her home above all others that spent more.

Valued Contributor

That is an interesting question.  I love to create a beautiful environment and love to see beauty.  My inspiration usually comes from an object, so I am inspired to design around or work that object into my design.  When I see decor trends and ideas that I like it becomes an influence but not an inspiration.  I am flattered and enjoy it when others appreciate what I have created but don't want to be their inspiration and it even makes me feel uncomfortable.

libby's folly