Honored Contributor

Home DIY - did it go out of fashion or did I just get old?

Be honest.

I can handle it, lol.

There was a time when DIY shows were all the rage on HGTV.  They inspired me to refinish and reupholster furniture, build shelving units, put up crown molding and wainscoting, paint, wallpaper, stencil, sponge paint, tear out carpets, retile the bathroom... the list goes on and on.

Now, when I watch home shows like "House Hunters", the new owners say they need a turn-key home or they need it to be renovated before they move in. I'm wondering if DIY went out of fashion or if the do-it-yourself generation just got old and tired, like me.

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

Re: Home DIY - did it go out of fashion or did I just get old?

@house_cat  Based on the number of people that I see at Lowes on the weekend, I think the Do-it-yourselfers are still out there.  

My ex always had the attitude that if he could pay someone to do it, why would he do it himself.  I always thought that if I could do it myself, why would I pay someone to do it, especially when I could spend that money shopping?  Sounds compatible, doesn't it, LOL.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Esteemed Contributor

I think the DIY shows that we are seeing now is mainly a full house reno with a team of craftsmen.  We have an older home so I prefer "Rehab Addict" because she works with what is good in the room and rehabs the bad. That's our style. IMO I think it;s much more difficult and slower paced to deal with this type of DIY project than if you can just gut the place.  We are still active with our projects but it takes us three times longer to complete. Finding the equipment or materials seems to consume a ton of time. Eventually, our projects do get completed.   

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

@house_cat  Based on the number of people that I see at Lowes on the weekend, I think the Do-it-yourselfers are still out there.  

My ex always had the attitude that if he could pay someone to do it, why would he do it himself.  I always thought that if I could do it myself, why would I pay someone to do it, especially when I could spend that money shopping?  Sounds compatible, doesn't it, LOL.

@CAcableGirl2

Maybe it has something to do with our upbringing. My husband's dad had a PHD in economics, but couldn't handle any home repair more complicated than changing a light bulb. I"m not exaggerating. My dad, on the other hand, literally built his parents a summerhouse from the ground up.  I've always assumed that's why my DH is easily overwhelmed by any suggestion of DIY, while I've always dived into it with a can-do attitude.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

The height of this DIY trend was the start of the 2000's with the lady that started Shabby Chic, buying old furniture and redoing it.  Which I started doing and selling which then morphed into DIY for everything house and then shows showing before and after....  I think that after nearly 20 years, the trend has probably run its course....

We're trying to sell our house as we speak and the house is only 7 years old.  We were told that buyers want everything to look like a model home, everything fixed and move in ready (we do that anyway).... AND to perpetrate the "fantasy" by having a professional decorator come in and stage the home.  Which I might add looks very sophisticated and appealing to the most buyers.... which my antique furniture would not do.

I miss the DIY shows and I also loved the "Make It Right" show, I learned a lot!!   

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

I think the DIY generation has grown.  My daughter #1 bought a darling little house that needed work, neither ever did painting, plastering, carpet installation themselves but with hubby's help and the help of hubby's friends; they were quick learners and love it.  Drive by those home repair stores and the lines are always out the parking lot.  However, that isn't for everyone.  Some people feel that since they are paying megabucks for their dream homes; they want it perfect and in move in-live in condition.The work hard all week, they don't want to work hard on their off hours.  No right or wrong, it's a choice.  Also, don't make the mistake of confusing those tv shows with real life,  they are tv shows.  Just like any sitcom, they are scripted tv shows, there's little to no reality in them.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u

I agree.  As I remember it, the DIY craze started with the availability of cable t.v. and shows like "This Old House".

~ house cat ~
Respected Contributor

My husband is pretty handy but there's also a lot we wouldn't undertake.  Like the remodeling of the 3 bathrooms we just did.  Took it to the studs, that's not in our scope of what we can do.  Just by watching the shows on HGTV, I would say most want turn key.  A small project is okay, paint or something like that, but when it comes to major remodeling, I believe most don't want to do it (themselves or higher it out).  We just moved into a new house last year, much larger than our other home.  When we bought our other home 20 plus years ago, we were able to do more on our own.  Both my husband and myself even talked about it last night....it's not that easy any more.  We're 20 plus years older and things that used to take a day to do take a lot longer. 

Trusted Contributor

I am a widow of 73.   My husband and I, our children and our grandchildren all believe in DIY.  We turned out houses into the homes we wanted.

My family is the DIY kind for everything.  My sons purchased older homes early on and have remodeled them to their liking and growing family.  They now have beautiful homes with acreage but they can not be taxed for new homes.   They thought of downsizing but why buy a new smaller house with higher taxes and less land and a new morgage.  When the grandchildren come they will need the extra rooms.

The men hate the new cars because they are made so you can not do much.  Everything is tightly packed under the hood.  Today's cars seem to required a  computer trained mechanic with special tools who is trained to do as the computer says.   We had 5 trips to the dealership before they decided that the car's "brain" was at fault for all the incorrect diagnosis.   They said we should not complain because we got new parts. ???   Excuse me.  We paid for 5 repairs when the first 4 were not needed.  Thank goodness we still have a few small  independent garages who are owned by real mechanics.  They are worth waiting in line for.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll admit to being pretty handy. I've changed out elements in an electric hot water tank and replaced hot & cold water stems in old fashioned single handle faucets.

That said, I borrowed the tools for both projects from guys I worked with back then. If you're needing  deep sockets and a stem puller they are investments and you can't rent them. 

If you don't own the tools for a one time project, consider hiring a pro.