Honored Contributor

I took a cross stitched piece this morning to be custom framed and I was pleasantly surprised by the final total.

I knew I couldn't use their weekly 40% coupon on the actual frame but the woman at the counter told me I could use it on glass.

Much less than Michaels.

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.........glad to know that!

Super Contributor

I usually wait till they have a sale on framing, and even then, it's expensive!! Glad you got a good deal. I have a lot of cross-stitching framed , and would love to see yours when it gets finished, if you can post a pic of it. I love crafting,

Super Contributor
Thanks for sharing! Hobby Lobby has really great service!
Education | Sorority Alumna | PGA Foundation | Coffee and Brunch are my thing.
Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafter  Thanks for letting us know that Hobby Lobby does custom framing.  I had no idea and about 6 months ago I got a NYC skyline poster framed (no matting and better glass), and a basic black frame.....it was still $175 with all the discounts and coupons.  Yikes - I wouldn't have done it but I really wanted to display it from my travels.  

Next time I will give Hobby Lobby a try!

ny.jpg

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

I have all my custom framing done at HB too. They do an excellent job and there is always a sale happening. Glad you had a good experience.

Honored Contributor

This is the first time I'm using HL.  I had always gone to Michaels - I had a certain color in my mind and they did not have what I wanted.  I wasn't going to settle for something else.

It's a gift.   When I give a handmade gift, I have to love it and want to keep it for myself.  If I don't like the way it's turning out or want to keep it for myself then I won't gift it. 

I'm glad to read that others have been pleased with their work.

Respected Contributor

@CelticCrafterwrote:

I took a cross stitched piece this morning to be custom framed and I was pleasantly surprised by the final total.

I knew I couldn't use their weekly 40% coupon on the actual frame but the woman at the counter told me I could use it on glass.

Much less than Michaels.

In what condition do you give them the piece? Do you stretch it first? I have several cross stitch pieces I want to frame.

Honored Contributor

@froggy - I make sure it's clean, wrinkle free and not distorted in shape - I roll it around a paper towel tube rather than fold it when I take it to them.

I do a running stitch around the piece showing them how many rows of the  background I want exposed.  I have OCD when it comes to things being even, straight and symmetrical, so that's why I do it and know it's centered.

I don't cut the excess fabric away, I let them do that because I know they need a certain amount of excess to wrap it around the backing and don't want to cut it too short.

Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 - I went with the museum quality glass for this piece.  If a flat pane of glass could be beautiful, this was! 

I'm glad I can use the weekly coupon on the glass otherwise it would have been more than the actual frame.