Regular Contributor

Help/suggestions for bathroom please

I have a good size master bathroom-I think-but I am having trouble finding a place for a hamper. The way it is laid out the only place I see would be right above the register as that is really the only open section I have along the wall.  The only other space would be the small area between the toilet and wall or toilet and sink----and I don't like the idea of my hamper there-what if we miss and a towel gets thrown in the toilet!  That would be my luck.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do for a hamper in the bathroom?  I thought of one of those bags that you hang on a hook over the door but that seems kind of college dormish to me-and not the look I was going for.  I've been trying to find a very slim hamper that is raised a bit so it wouldn't block the register but I haven't been able to find anything.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Honored Contributor

Re: Help/suggestions for bathroom please

In our house in NJ we had a linen closet in our master bath and I put a hamper in that closet.  Here in our condo I keep one one of those pop up laundry hampers in our bedroom between the dresser and chest of drawers--inconspicuous and dirty clothes are thrown right in.  Works for me!

Frequent Contributor

Buy hamper you like. Put legs or  open screen under hamper over heat sourse. to elevate. A metal cover on bottom of hamper will throw heat out instead of ,baking, laundry. Good Luck

Esteemed Contributor

When we had out bathroom redone, I had a hamper built into the counter - It was a large pull out drawer.

Esteemed Contributor

I have a large walk-in closet off my master bedroom. I had it customized - with a large rectangular area (at the floor) left open where I keep my tall hamper. Do u have room in ur closet? OR u can find an attractive hamper that u can leave in an open area in ur bedroom. I wouldn't put it in the toilet area.

Esteemed Contributor

Do you like hampers? Are they handy for your life? I've never had one. Always thought they were bulky, too heavy and didn't let the clothes breathe. What about a laundry basket in a closet or beside a dresser (in a corner and out of sight)? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I used to have a colonial home built in the 1920's-1930's.  It had a laundry chute from the second floor to the basement.  It didn't use it, but it was a good idea nonetheless.  Hampers in the bathroom take up valuable real estate!

Esteemed Contributor

@pegsue, I don't keep a hamper in the master bedroom or en-suite.  I keep it in the laundry room.  I have a large master bath but don’t like to have a dirty clothes hamper there.  Laundry room works for us.  LM

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr  Laundry chutes are the BEST!! This is the first home I've ever lived in without one . . . and I miss a laundry chute so much. Most of those homes were Colonials. We're pretty traditional when it comes to our choices in home styles. 

BTW: Our very first home was a ranch built in the 1960's and it even had a laundry chute! That was on the list of "must haves" . . . but this home had so much more that we needed. We gave up on that "want" and bought it anyway. A laundry basket lives in each bedroom walk-in closet!

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Do you have room in your closet for a hamper or in the laundry room?