Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Re: Help choosing sofa color.

@GingerPeach wrote:

@dex wrote:

I have a kitchen living combination in my small cabin.The walls are a beige color and the flooring is wood planks in grey and beige.I have white blinds on the windows.I thought about grey but that might be too dark.What do you think would work?

@dex  You live in a cabin?  I think that sounds romantic and lovely.  Lucky you! Heart

A warm beige is the color that comes to mind.  You could keep accents neutral or use red or whatever other color you prefer in pillows, etc.

I bet you already know this, but if you're buying new, I'd choose a sofa with square cushions which makes it easier to rotate them side to side and back to front instead of those sofa cushions with the "L" shaped edges that wrap in front of the arms.  Also, I've found that sofas with three cusions seem to hold up better in the middle than sofas with two cushions.  (Or maybe I just got unlucky with mine!)

Disregard most of this picture. It's mostly to show the square cushions on the sofa.

Image result for warm beige sofa for cabin with white blinds

I love this room!

Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

@GingerPeach @The cabin is our second home.We bought the property more than thirty years ago with eight friends.It was a cabin style motel so we each have our own cabins.We are on a beautiful pristine lake in the mountains.I agree that we are lucky to have this place.I get up early and sit on my deck admiring mountains and wildlife.

Thank you for giving me so much info about sofas.I will need that when choosing.I haven’t bought much furniture over the years as my dh hates spending money on it.The one we have now came from a friends store and it is an ugly dusty rose leather.The leather is italian and very soft and beautiful though.My friend gave me a huge deal to purchase it to get it out of her shop when we bought the cabin.I didn’t like the color then but the price was too good to pass up.

@dex 

If you like the shape and feel of the sofa, and if it is in good condition, have you looked into re-dying it? I don't know if this is possible with such a large piece, or if it is price worthy, but I had a beautiful white leather coat re-dyed and it is beautiful.

Of course with dusty rose you might have to go a bit darker, like navy, or RED (an idea I love, but have never done).  

Well, just a thought.

I like @GingerPeach  's idea.  Knowing me, I'd go for a medium sage green.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

I'm wondering if you spend time there all year or just in summer. I'd go with more color if it was my summer cabin, but medium gray if I used it during cooler months.
Honored Contributor

@GingerPeach wrote:

@dex wrote:

I have a kitchen living combination in my small cabin.The walls are a beige color and the flooring is wood planks in grey and beige.I have white blinds on the windows.I thought about grey but that might be too dark.What do you think would work?

@dex  You live in a cabin?  I think that sounds romantic and lovely.  Lucky you! Heart

A warm beige is the color that comes to mind.  You could keep accents neutral or use red or whatever other color you prefer in pillows, etc.

I bet you already know this, but if you're buying new, I'd choose a sofa with square cushions which makes it easier to rotate them side to side and back to front instead of those sofa cushions with the "L" shaped edges that wrap in front of the arms.  Also, I've found that sofas with three cusions seem to hold up better in the middle than sofas with two cushions.  (Or maybe I just got unlucky with mine!)

Disregard most of this picture. It's mostly to show the square cushions on the sofa.

Image result for warm beige sofa for cabin with white blinds

Something like this was my first thought!  I've learned from experience to go with a light to medium neutral color for a sofa...you can always brighten it up with accent pillows & throws...plus you can change the look & color theme easily!

Trusted Contributor

@Mominohio wrote:

Here are the questions I would be asking myself if replacing a sofa.

Pattern or no? How much pattern is in the rest of the room? Am I tired of having pattern in upholstery, or do I find it adds interest to the room? 

Color? What am I trying to achieve with the room. Do I want calm and serene, or do I like things lively? What colors am I working with already that will stay in the room, or am I willing to redo the whole room? Remember that a sofa is usually a large piece and the color will be magnified because of the size, so too dark or too bright will really stand out and may make the sofa the focal point of the room (and do you want it to do that).

I can tell you where I'm at right now. 

I don't believe in the whole 'pop of color' thing in home decor. I just don't need it, and maybe you don't either. I don't like bright, neonish, or very bold colors in home decor very well, so think about if you do or don't have strong feelings about those kinds of things, before deciding. 

Right now, I'm moving the main level of my home to creams, taupe, tan, ivory and brown accents. I like the nice neutral backdrop it provides of decorating for all seasons (fall, Christmas, winter, patriotic for summer etc.)

I had a sofa I loved for 25 of the almost 30 years I had it. Then one day, as I was decorating for Christmas, I noticed how my color palate really fought against Christmas decor, and I noticed it again the following fall when I got out the fall decor. 

I love to decorate for the seasons, and was so unhappy with especially my sofa and how it totally didn't accept fall and holiday colors so I began the switch to make my rooms more neutral, so I could use them as a canvas for any type of seasonal decor and it would look good. 

My main suggestion would be to think about more than the sofa, but the whole room (of course I see you are doing that for sure), and ask yourself what you really like, more so than what we see designers and HGtV tell us is 'the thing' to do. 

@Mominohio  Although I know many do not, I love an all neutral house too.  I had lots of color in my last house but have gone all neutral in this house, the same colors you mentioned, and I just love the look.  It's cozy, it's relaxing and everything goes with it especially during the holidays as you said, whether it be fall or Christmas or anything in between. 

Trusted Contributor

I vote for a very basic neutral color because you want something that will still work years from now. I went with a "pop of color" in a leather sofa years ago and even though it has held up perfect, I am now stuck with a color that I don't care for anymore and doesn't match very well now. Oh how I wish I would have went with a neutral! 

Esteemed Contributor

@dex , something for you to think about.  Perhaps you should think about a love seat as opposed to a sofa.  I replaced the sofa in my living room with a rich chocolate brown leather love seat and I really like it.  I live on a lake.  In summer, the loveseat is positioned to take in the lake/garden views.  In winter, we turn it to face the fireplace.

We never had more than two people sitting on the sofa at once so it hasn’t affected seating.  The sofa is accompanied by two lovely easy chairs.

The only reason I wouldn’t go for that is if you have someone who likes to lie down to watch tv.  We have a sofa in the family room for that reason.

Good luck in your choice.  Love what you pick or don’t pick it!  LM

Esteemed Contributor

I might consider a slate blue, silver blue for a bit of a "pop". If you want all neutrals that I would go with a light, dove gray. If you want a dark color then I might consider a navy. It all depends on how much "use" your space receives.

Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of matching a sofa to the wall color or floor color. I do prefer something that "pops" instead of becoming invisible.  

Avoid patterns, plaids, florals etc and go with any solid color that tickles your fancy.  Navy, red, deep green and so on.

Some of these colors do, in fact, work as a  neutral foil for accessories.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

upholstery  sample.jpg

@dex   Does this sample / visual help?

Edited to add another color:

red sample.jpg

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.