Esteemed Contributor

Do you have a heater that when the numbers match that you set it make noise at times for hours?

It drives me nuts unless I am nuts already.

Son thought this would be easy to set for me. If you don't know what I am talking about please forget it. Just hard for me to deal with when it happens.

Honored Contributor

We have had a cold Wisconsin winter and I sometimes bring a heater in our living to warm my feet while I watch TV. If I set the temperature to 70, it will run a long time. The noise is like a purring cat, not real loud.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 

Is this a high pitched squeal?

Or is it a repeating dull thud?

Are you in a place that has a landlord?

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Esteemed Contributor

This is my house. Never happenened untill a few years ago. Some say when my dh died it started--who knows.Some people can't hear it and my anxiety grows. They don't believe me .

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My mother's house sounds like ppl are walking around when the heater's on. She swears it's my Dad haunting her!

Esteemed Contributor

Are you talking about the thermostat on your wall that controls the furnace?

Are you talking about a digital programmable thermostat that allows you to set different programs for sections of the day, and may be signaling you that it's program can't be fulfilled, or its batteries are dying?

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1  based on your threads your heater and thermostat are in good working order.    Neither your son nor your cat are disturbed by the noise nor can they hear it.  Have you tried earplugs?

I am not sure if you have had a hearing test, but that seems called for.

Some time ago you were giving a prescription for anxiety.  Are you taking it?  Trust your doctor, they do have drugs to help you.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 - 

Whether I've lived in an apartment or house, the heat pumps outside the house have often made a loud humming noise, sometimes with a louder turning over sound,

like the motor is turning over.

They are all working alright, its just an annoying noise and it doesn't always happen.

The one outside now, we can hear inside the house. It would never bother my cat, as not many noises that are consistent do.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@halfpint1   I think you posted recently that you had a heater repairman come out again.  What did they say?  Were they able to hear the noise this time?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Did it start after you changed the thermostat?

For some peace of mind call a furnace tech out. A few bucks might relieve your anxiety.