Honored Contributor

I have had one for 6 or more years, its the one with the interchangeable plates.

Lately its not been cooking well, not as hot or over cooking my food.

I am thinking of getting rid of it but do I replace it or pan broil my food or replace it

any ideas

TIA

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Contributor

I've had mine (not interchangable but washable) for a decade I think--I definitely would replace it!

Esteemed Contributor
Is this the evolve one where you can set the temp. I love mine.
Esteemed Contributor

I've had mine for the same amount of time, but it's in the box with the other cooking gadgets.

I'm back to my cast iron grill pan and my stove.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

I have the small GF grill, no interchangeable plates. I love mine. If it broke, it would definitely be something I'd replace.

Respected Contributor
On 1/5/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I have the small GF grill, no interchangeable plates. I love mine. If it broke, it would definitely be something I'd replace.

I"ve had my GF grill for 3 months and love it! BUT ... I always wondered if cooking w/ teflon was "safe". {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Any "health nuts" here know about that?

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Super Contributor
My local Good Will has hundreds of them all sizes for next to free. LOL that is where mine ended up!
Honored Contributor

I think it depends on what YOU would use, whether to get another contact grill or just use a grill pan, etc.

I like having a contact grill. I don't use it all the time but I definitely get enough use out of it to have one on hand. I don't care for the Foreman brand, however, because of the grease tray on the counter and the sloping of the grilling surface. I went to Hamilton Beach many years ago and they are great - no sloping surface and the grease pan slides into the side so it's not on the counter waiting for a klutz (me!) to knock it off.

I have also had my eye on a Cuisinart for a long time because I like the brand, but these HB ones seem to last forever. I think I still have a brand new one in the box, in my garage, waiting for my current one (that I've had for many years) to die.

Honored Contributor
On 1/5/2015 rina33 said:
On 1/5/2015 LipstickDiva said:

I"ve had my GF grill for 3 months and love it! BUT ... I always wondered if cooking w/ teflon was "safe". {#emotions_dlg.confused1} Any "health nuts" here know about that?

IMO they don't get hot enough to cause toxic emissions, noxious fumes, or spontaneous removal of the nonstick. You have to heat nonstick to a fairly high heat to break it down. I also use nonstick on the stove, but just use it with medium heat and have never had problems.

As long as nonstick is treated properly it will perform well and not cause health problems or product breakdown problems - no dishwasher, no Pam spray, and no high heat. Smiley Happy Those are the basic rules. Obviously, it behooves you to not use steel utensils. I use nylon or silicone in mine and they last forever.

Respected Contributor
On 1/5/2015 chickenbutt said:
IMO they don't get hot enough to cause toxic emissions, noxious fumes, or spontaneous removal of the nonstick. You have to heat nonstick to a fairly high heat to break it down. I also use nonstick on the stove, but just use it with medium heat and have never had problems.

As long as nonstick is treated properly it will perform well and not cause health problems or product breakdown problems - no dishwasher, no Pam spray, and no high heat. Smiley Happy Those are the basic rules. Obviously, it behooves you to not use steel utensils. I use nylon or silicone in mine and they last forever.

Don't call me a "moron" when I tell you this, but when I first got my grill, I did use steel utensils and scraped off some of the teflon. I also used a brillo pad to clean the grill plates and scraped off some more teflon. I was so mad when I saw what happened to the grill plates, I proceeded to write a bad review for the grill. And I couldn't find replacement grill plates so I was really ticked! Then after some research, I realized -- it was my fault. I ruined my brand new grill plates. I'm still using the grill. In fact, I use it 3-4X a week. Should I stop using these plates and buy another grill? I've NEVER used teflon or any type of non-stick cooking pan because 30 yrs. ago, I was told it was not safe. So, I knew nothing. {#emotions_dlg.bored}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."