Respected Contributor

Have you ever painted galvanized metal as a craft? Any advice?

Honored Contributor

You must mean tole painting?

Tole painting is the folk art of decorative painting on tin and wooden utensils, objects and furniture. Typical metal objects include utensilscoffee pots, and similar household items. Wooden objects include tables, chairs, and chests, including hope chests, toyboxes and jewelry boxes.

Back when QVC had craft shows, a woman name Donna Dewberry sold instructional videos on doing this kind of painting.  Somebody recently said she's now on HSN; @traveler.   You might want to check her out.  This never appealed to me so I've never tried it.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

I was told that  if the metal is new galvanized metal that you are going to paint, first wipe it down with vinegar.  it gets rid of the oils in the galvanizing.   If its old metal, not rusted just  a few years old or has been outside you can paint it, not problem.  if its new wipe it with vinegar.    good luck.

Respected Contributor

Thank you. I was trying to remember Dewberry.

Trusted Contributor
@traveler
Donna has a lot of how to videos on you tube also.
Honored Contributor

Donna Dewberry has been on a couple of HSN craft shows of late.  They have another craft day coming up on November 6th.  Perhaps she'll be back again.  However, in the meantime, they offer some of her products on HSN.com.  Her technique is intriguiging, but I doubt I would ever successfully duplicate it, even using her practice sheets!  Nice to look at, however.