Respected Contributor

Re: GE digital dryer died need help choosing new dryer

i have a 7.0 dryer and i dry my king size comforters in it. sometimes i have to pull it out and reposition it so it drys completly. to get a speed queen appliance you probably would have to find a small independed appliance place that can probably order what you want. we have a few places near us that do that. good luck.

Respected Contributor

Have you thought about line drying it after partial drying in the dryer? You could do that on sunny days. I live in the south, so sun isn't an issue, but pollen is, so I just bite the extra dry time and turn it ever so often. I have partial dried it and then put it over several drying racks with a fan to finish. I do this when I have other things to dry as well. I do have quilts and not comforters, so the size is not as fluffy.
Respected Contributor

GE sold their appliance division to Haier, a Chinese company and I think I'd avoid that brand at all cost.  When it comes time for me to buy a new washer and dryer, I'm going to look around and see if anyone carries Speed Queen in my area.  I rid my home of all GE appliances years ago because they were so un-reliable.

Honored Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

GE sold their appliance division to Haier, a Chinese company and I think I'd avoid that brand at all cost.  When it comes time for me to buy a new washer and dryer, I'm going to look around and see if anyone carries Speed Queen in my area.  I rid my home of all GE appliances years ago because they were so un-reliable.

Yes they are owned by a Chinese company now BUT - they are still built in Louisville, Ky. so you can still feel assured that you are saving American jobs by buying GE.

Trusted Contributor

@BabyYoda. I got my SQ washer at a local private store, check Amazon, I know they have SQ washers. Amazon price was about the same so I went local.

Respected Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:

I took a look at Home Depot online and found that you are right!  They all have some form of digital controls, even though some have a knob, but that is just to select the digital setting.  There is a 9.2 sq.ft. Maytag that looked really good if size is your must.  I looked and the biggest manual seems to be a 7.2.  I don't know what measurements mine is, but it is an Armana from the late 90s and does kings all the time.  I just stop it, pull it out, and fluff it, then put it back and turn it on.  I do see that so many of the dryers, and even the ones labeled commercial with coin boxes, are digital controls.  This leads me to believe that the digital control are at least stable enough for there to be so many, that you may want to just do a different brand and try the digital control.  Read the reviews for each and sort them by doing lowest first and read to see what is a consistent problem from review to review.  If the issue comes up again and again, it may be a flaw of that product.  Then decide if you can live with the flaw or not.  You may find some of the smaller sizes are able to do king and just do that.  There is also the Q & A section on each and search for king.  It will find any mention of king in the already asked questions.  Hopefully someone else has asked and you can see what the answer is, otherwise just ask if they think it can handle a king.

Thank you @Tigriss I think if I get a smaller non digital dryer I may be able to get our comforter in it. I have been reading reviews that the digital ones have a lot of issues with breaking down. 

Respected Contributor

@Nomorebirthdays wrote:

@BabyYoda. I got my SQ washer at a local private store, check Amazon, I know they have SQ washers. Amazon price was about the same so I went local.

@Nomorebirthdays I would love to get a SQ dryer but I have to spend my Home Depot credit at their store either online or in their store. I am waiting to receive the card in the mail. I have to buy it from Home Depot and sadly they don't sell SQ. 

Respected Contributor

@Tyak wrote:

Sadly @Tyak their quality is no longer good when they sold. The repairman that came was elderly and has been with GE repair for over 40 years. He said the digital ones have so many problems and he said most likely it is a defect in the board or wiring. We had a new control board put in. There is nothing left to fix. They even told me the electric voltage was off and blamed my electrician's work so I had our electrician out to check and he said it is working fine since he installed the line to the dryer himself 3 years ago. It has its own fuse on the main line. I will not buy a GE again. 

Respected Contributor

@Tigriss wrote:
Have you thought about line drying it after partial drying in the dryer? You could do that on sunny days. I live in the south, so sun isn't an issue, but pollen is, so I just bite the extra dry time and turn it ever so often. I have partial dried it and then put it over several drying racks with a fan to finish. I do this when I have other things to dry as well. I do have quilts and not comforters, so the size is not as fluffy.

It could work in the summer but not in the cold and frigid winters. Right now the pollen is high and green pollen is all over my car. My allergies are bad and getting pollen on my blankets isn't going to help. Thanks for your suggestion. 

Honored Contributor

@MimiLouise wrote:

Had my 30 year old Maytag dryer serviced the other day with new heating element.  Not getting rid of it till it just gives out!  The repairman is also an appliance dealer and he told me if I ever need a new washer or dryer to get Speed Queen.. less maintenance than others.  

OMG your 30 machine is draining your pocketbook!! And your clothes are not cared for as well as with the new machines! All I can say is wow.

"Pure Michigan"