Honored Contributor

These don't seem to be fashionable at the moment but I'm considering one for our second bedroom.  Any info/advice/opinion on buying one?  TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

DS had one all thru college and sold it after graduation fetching nearly what I paid for it on CL. If there's a college near you there will be stores with futons! 

I skipped the junk and bought the best quality I could afford. Shop a store that offers separate mattress & frame that you can choose from. His used standard full sized bedding.

Take measurements & make sure it will fit thru all your doors fully assembled. Otherwise you'll have to take it apart to move it room to room.

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50

What is the purpose of the second bedroom?

Is it a room that will have heavy visitor traffic for overnight guests? If so, I would get a regular bed, or at the very least, a day bed.  If it's for grandkids, I would do a trundle bed.

If floor space is a concern, how about a Murphy bed?

Honored Contributor

@kaydee50 - They are great! I bought one when I taught in Japan. DH and I used it as a bed when we were younger. Later on, my children started out sleeping on it when they outgrew the crib. We have lent it to people to use as a spare bed, and most recently many, many teens have spent nights on it! Ours has never been on a platform. It is a double size, 3-part system. The bottow is a thick, light foam that folds into thirds. The layer that goes on top of that is really heavy, then the third layer is a medium weight quilt. I put the first two layers down, then put a mattress pad on (one of the flat ones with elastic strips at the corners). I then make it as I would a bed - with a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. 

Ours "resides" under our bed until needed, but I've seen some with frames that are really nice. If we used ours as a guest bed, I would definitely get a frame - especially since most of our friends and family don't want to get up after a night of sleeping on the floor! Smiley LOL Ours is a blue oriental print. I think you'd  be able to have fun decorating a bedroom around one of these. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Snowpuppy wrote:

DS had one all thru college and sold it after graduation fetching nearly what I paid for it on CL. If there's a college near you there will be stores with futons! 

I skipped the junk and bought the best quality I could afford. Shop a store that offers separate mattress & frame that you can choose from. His used standard full sized bedding.

Take measurements & make sure it will fit thru all your doors fully assembled. Otherwise you'll have to take it apart to move it room to room.

Thanks, Snowpuppy, for the quick response and useful info.  The reason I'm considering a futon is that I don't think my full size sleeper sofa will fit through the doorway so I will be careful about the measurements.

Honored Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

@kaydee50

What is the purpose of the second bedroom?

Is it a room that will have heavy visitor traffic for overnight guests? If so, I would get a regular bed, or at the very least, a day bed.  If it's for grandkids, I would do a trundle bed.

If floor space is a concern, how about a Murphy bed?

Lola, thanks for the several suggestions.  Purpose of the room is basically if either DH or I aren't feeling well we have a separate bedroom to go to.  Rarely will there be an overnight guest.  Space is not a concern.  Getting a full size sleeper sofa through the doorway is, thus considering a futon. 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@kaydee50 - They are great! I bought one when I taught in Japan. DH and I used it as a bed when we were younger. Later on, my children started out sleeping on it when they outgrew the crib. We have lent it to people to use as a spare bed, and most recently many, many teens have spent nights on it! Ours has never been on a platform. It is a double size, 3-part system. The bottow is a thick, light foam that folds into thirds. The layer that goes on top of that is really heavy, then the third layer is a medium weight quilt. I put the first two layers down, then put a mattress pad on (one of the flat ones with elastic strips at the corners). I then make it as I would a bed - with a fitted sheet and a flat sheet. 

Ours "resides" under our bed until needed, but I've seen some with frames that are really nice. If we used ours as a guest bed, I would definitely get a frame - especially since most of our friends and family don't want to get up after a night of sleeping on the floor! Smiley LOL Ours is a blue oriental print. I think you'd  be able to have fun decorating a bedroom around one of these. Smiley Happy

Thanks, beach-mom for the info.  We would definitely be getting a frame for it.  

Trusted Contributor

I had a good quality one in my 20's that I used for a living room sofa and guest bed.  It was really nice and comfortable.  The nice thing about them is that unlike mattresses, they don't have springs that go or parts that sag.  Same with its function as a sofa.  The springs don't stretch and the cushions don't get weak and squashed.  You can buy a variety of inexpensive covers for them that zip up and keep them protected.  It's a good, versatile investment for a guest room.

Super Contributor

I ordered one called Aiden Futton from Wal-Mart it has an 8 inch inner coil mattress I think it was around $200 dollars..I wasn't expecting much and only planned on using it for those times I want to watch a different show than my husband, go sit and read a book in quiet or for the occasional house guest ..I LOVE THIS THING!!! Honestly, it is the MOST comfortable pull out bed I have ever slept on, sitting on it is very comfortable as a couch..most are hard and uncomfortable but this one is amazing.  It is squeeky as some people in the reviews mentioned but my husband said a little WD40 on the coils will take care of that..I would definately recommend this one!!!

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Futons definitely serve a purpose!

Back in my old house, I'd been planning on converting a small upstairs bedroom into a little TV room for myself...and then it suddenly became necessary to babysit my 2 grandchildren for 6 months.

Their dad had to go away for training, & since he and his wife had worked separate shifts, there was no one to watch them while she worked.

A futon was the perfect solution!

Not only was it comfy for their napping and sleepovers, but after they'd left, I was left w/ a comfy 'couch' for the little TV room - which was also used as an occasional guest room.

Just make sure to get a quality mattress/cushion & you'll be all set!  Smiley Happy

Muddling through...